PřF:F9370 Quantum gravitation - Course Information
F9370 Quantum gravitationFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 3/0/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- doc. Franz Hinterleitner, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Michal Lenc, Ph.D.
Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. Franz Hinterleitner, Ph.D.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Physics (programme PřF, N-FY)
- Course objectives
- Noncompatibility of quantum theory and general relativity (GR), problems of quantizing GR: nonlinearity, nonrenormalizability of perturbative quantum gravity, dynamical spacetime, constraints. Ashtekar variables, Wilson loops, basic quantum operators, orthonormal basis of quantum states - spin networks. Gauge and diffeomorphism invariance, operators of geometry: arean and volume. Hamiltonian constraint and the problem of time evolution, "spin foams". Black hole entropy, quantum cosmology, regularization of cosmic singularities by quantizing geometry. Aims: knowledge of canonical general relativity; quantum geometry; discrrteness of space; problem of time evolution; cosmology
- Noncompatibility of quantum theory and general relativity: non-linearity, non-renormalizability of perturbative quantum gravity, dynamický prostoročas, vazby.
- Ashtekar variables, Wilson loops, basíc quantum operators, orthonormal basis of quantum states - spin networks.
- Gauge and diffeomorphism invariance, operators of geometry: surface and volume. Hamilton constraint and the problem of time evolution, "spin foam".
- Black hole entropy, quantum cosmology, regularization of cosmic singularities in quantum geometry.
- ROVELLI, Carlo. Quantum gravity. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004. xxiii, 455. ISBN 0521837332. info
- GAMBINI, Rodolfo and Jorge PULLIN. Loops, knots, gauge theories and quantum gravity. 1st pbk. pub. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000. xvi, 321. ISBN 0521654750. info
- SMOLIN, Lee. Three roads to quantum gravity. New York: Basic Books, 2001. viii, 245. ISBN 0465078362. info
- Assessment methods
- oral exam
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught once in two years.
The course is taught: every week.
General note: L.