PřF:G1101k Principles of Geophysics - Course Information
G1101k Principles of GeophysicsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught partially online.
- Mgr. Josef Havíř, Dr. (lecturer)
RNDr. Libor Vejmělek (lecturer)
Mgr. Hana Krumlová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Josef Havíř, Dr.
Department of Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: Mgr. Josef Havíř, Dr.
Supplier department: Department of Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! G1101 Principles of Geophysics && ! NOW ( G1101 Principles of Geophysics ) && (! PROGRAM ( B - GE ) || ( NOW ( G0101 Occupational healt and safety ) && NOW ( C7777 Handling chemical substances ) && ( NOW ( CST:CJV_DIAL Dialang )|| CST:CJV_DIAL Dialang || JA001 Examination in English for Specific Purposes - Science || JA002 Advanced Examination in English for Specific Purposes - Science || JAG01 English for Geologists I || JAG02 English for Geologists II )))
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 38 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The lecture "Introduction to geophysics" reviews basic methods of applied geophysics used to study physical properties of the Earth crust. Following geophysical methods are lectured: gravimetry, magnetometry, exploration seismology, geoelectricity, radiometry and well logging.
The purpose of this course is to introduce students to the most important methods of geophysical exploration. At the end of this course the students should be able to make reasoned decisions about usage of suitable geophysical method in a given geological situation.
- Learning outcomes
- Student will be able to:
- process and analyze gravimetric, magnetometric, seismic, geoelectric, radiometric and well logging data;
- interpret outputs of basic geophysical methods;
- apply basic geophysical methods to a practical problem;
- analyze current scientific knowledge in geophysics;
- propose and explain a suitable method of research for geophysical purposes.
- This course is an introduction to geophysical methods and is composed of the following blocks:
- 1a) introduction – position of geophysics among Earth sciences
- 1b) Earth as the terrestrial planet of the Solar system
- 2) geothermic
- 3) radiometric methods
- 4) gravimetry
- 5) isostasy
- 6) geoelectricity
- 7) geomagnetism
- 8) seismic methods
- 9) seismology
- 10) well logging
- recommended literature
- GRUNTORÁD, Jan. Principy metod užité geofyziky. 1. vyd. Praha: SNTL - Nakladatelství technické literatury, 1985. 190 s. info
- MAREŠ, Stanislav. Úvod do užité geofyziky. 2. přeprac. vyd. Praha: SNTL - Nakladatelství technické literatury, 1990. 677 s. ISBN 80-03-00427-6. info
- not specified
- LOWRIE, William. Fundamentals of geophysics. 2nd ed. New York [N.Y.]: Cambridge University Press, 2007. x, 381. ISBN 9780521675963. info
- KEAREY, P., Michael BROOKS and Ian HILL. An introduction to geophysical exploration. 3rd ed. Malden, MA: Blackwell Science, 2002. viii, 262. ISBN 0632049294. info
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- lectures, class discussion and exercises; written test, In the autumn semester 2020, the test can also be performed in a distance form, if necessary with regard to hygienic regulations.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: in blocks.
Note related to how often the course is taught: Dle plánu distanční výuky.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- G1101 Principles of Geophysics
!G1101k && !NOW(G1101k) && (!PROGRAM(B-GE) || (NOW(G0101) && NOW(C7777) && (NOW(CST:CJV_DIAL)||CST:CJV_DIAL||JA001||JA002||JAG01||JAG02)))
- G5511 Petrel and seismic stratigraphy
( (!(PROGRAM(D-GE4)||PROGRAM(B-GE)||PROGRAM(N-GE)||PROGRAM(D-GE)||PROGRAM(C-CV))) || (NOW(G0101)&&NOW(C7777))) && (G1101 || G1101k)
- G7621 Processing of seizmic data
- G8461 Seismology and seismotectonics
- G1101 Principles of Geophysics
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2021/G1101k