PřF:Z8149 Alternative GIS - Course Information
Z8149 Alternative GIS – freely available programs and dataFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- Mgr. Radim Štampach, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jaroslav Willmann (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Radim Štampach, Ph.D.
Department of Geography - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: Mgr. Radim Štampach, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Geography - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- Z8149/01: Thu 12:00–13:50 Z1,01001b, R. Štampach
- KREDITY_MIN ( 40 ) || PROGRAM ( N - GKG ) || PROGRAM ( N - AGG ) || PROGRAM ( N - FYG ) || PROGRAM ( N - GKG ) || PROGRAM ( N - SGR ) || PROGRAM ( N - UCZ )
Student must be familiar with GIS softwares environment. He must be able to do simple spatial analysis (e.g. Clip, Buffer), to produce and edit data and to make basic types of maps.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 8/20, only registered: 0/20, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 11 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The goal of course is to introduce students with freely available softwares and data from area of geographical information systems. This course should not persuade students that "open-source" is only right philosophy. The aim is to extend portofolio of softwares that are students familiar with and to show solution for using GIS, data making and managing and for doing spatial analysis in situation, when is technically or economically possible to use commercial software.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of course students will be able to various freely available softwares - databases, desktop GIS, analytical tools etc. - and combine them to allow basic analysis and map making. Student will know also freely available sources of spatial data.
- Introduction, review and history of freely available GIS
- SAGA GIS
- Other softwares and extensions
- Freely available data, review of Czech and foreign data sources
- Manuály k programům QGIS, PostGIS, SAGA GIS a dalším
- Teaching methods
- The course is based on practical class exercises based on the real tasks. Students will do it on computers in computer room. Short presentation about topic of actual lecture will be part of exercises. Student will work on defined tasks during the semester.
- Assessment methods
- The course is finished by test. Practical task in GIS is part of test. Completion of all exercises is a condition for participation on test.
In the case of distance learning, the final test can be replaced by exercise.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2020/Z8149