PřF:Z8172 Semiotics in cartography - Course Information
Z8172 Semiotics in cartographyFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Bc. Zdeněk Stachoň, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Marian Švik (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Bc. Zdeněk Stachoň, Ph.D.
Department of Geography - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: Mgr. Bc. Zdeněk Stachoň, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Geography - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
- Mon 17:00–18:50 Z2,01032
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 14/20, only registered: 0/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- At the end of this course, students should be able to: understand rudiments of the theory of map symbols and geographical names, use morphographic operations on symbol elaboration, localization, and description as cartographers - specialists for thematic cartography.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of this course, students should be able to:
- undestand rudiments of theory of map symbols and geographical names;
- apply morphographic operations on symbol elaboration, localization and description as cartographers - specialists for thematic cartography.
- 1. Delimitation and definition of the base term in map semiotics, map language, and map symbol; development of conception in the elaboration of symbol systems. - 2. Informative conception, the conception of cartographic communication, conception of map as a system, the conception of mathematic-cartographical modeling. - 3. The conception of the language of map, the conception of map symbolism, the conception of map - cartographic language. - 4. The base of language conception of the map and basic criterions of map language organization. - 5. Legend of map and semiotics of map symbols. - 6. Morphography of map symbols and morphographic operations. - 7. Map syntactics - projection, map net, localization and typification principles. - 8. Map style - historical, present, individual and regional. - 9. Delimitation of terms as onomastics and toponomastics, geographical names, system of geographical names. - 10. Classification of toponymic types in the Czech language. - 11. Semantic bearing toponyms. - 12. Standardization of geographical names on different levels. - 13. Cartographic languages in the world and their transposition, transliteration and transcription; exonyms. - 14. Graphic bearing on map account. - 15. Toponomastics sources - historical, geographical, cartographical and dialectical.
- Pravda, Ján. Základy koncepcie mapového jazyka. Bratislava: Geografický ústav SAV, 1990. 168 s.
- ŠMILAUER, Vladimír. Úvod do toponomastiky : nauky o vlastních jménech zeměpisných. 2. vyd. Praha: Státní pedagogické nakladatelství, 1966. 231 s. info
- Lutterer, Ivan - Šrámek, Rudolf. Zeměpisná jména v Čechách, na Moravě a ve Slezsku. 1. vyd. Havlíčkův Brod: Tobiáš, 1997. 317 s.
- BERTIN, Jacques. Semiology of graphics : diagrams, networks, maps. Translated by William J. Berg. 1st ed. Redlands, Calif.: ESRI Press, 2011. xv, 438. ISBN 9781589482616. info
- Teaching methods
- Theoretical lectures, practical computer lessons
- Assessment methods
- oral exam, practice exercises evaluation
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2019/Z8172