PřF:C6320 Chemical Kinetics - Course Information
C6320 Chemical KineticsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium).
- prof. RNDr. Miroslav Holík, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Jiří Sopoušek, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Libuše Trnková, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Miroslav Holík, CSc.
Department of Chemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- Tue 9:00–10:50 C12/311
- Passing out the lectures from Physical Chemistry II and III.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 9 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Formal kinetics (rate equation, rate constant, order of reaction). Determination of the order of reaction (initial rates, integration, fractional lifetimes, isolation). Reaction mechanism and rate laws (molecularity, elementary reactions). Consecutive, parallel and reversible reactions (steady state approximation, rate determining step).Catalysed reactions (homogeneous, enzymatic, heterogeneous). Chain reactions (polymerisation, branched chain). Reaction thermodynamic (Arrhenius equation, collision and transition state theory). Solid state diffusion. Electrode kinetics.
- 1. Basic definitions: rate of reaction, true rate, rate equation, order of reaction, elementary reaction, molecularity. Determination of reaction order I: initial rare method, time-fraction method, half-life method, mean life-time method. 2. Determination of reaction order II: differential and integral rate equations for 1st and 2nd order reactions, none linear equations, separate method. 3. Reversible reactions: dynamic equilibrium, equilibrium constant, unimolecular and bimolecular reactions, linear and exponential rate equations. 4. Parallel reactions: branched, competitive, independent. Consecutive reactions: steady-state, pre-equilibrium. 5. Catalytic reactions I: Homogeneous catalysis, acid-base catalysis, autocatalysis, enzymatic catalysis, Michalis-Menten equation, and unsteady state kinetics, integral Michaelis-Menten equation, complicated enzymatic reactions (symbolism of Cleland, King-Altman method), inhibition reaction. 6. Catalytic reactions II: heterogeneous catalysts, chemisorption and surface chemisorption, covering a surface, adsorption isotherms (Langmuir, BET, Freundlich, Temkin), uni/bimolecular surface reactions, and product inhibition. 7. Polymer reactions: initiation, propagation, termination, radical reactions, branched reactions, polymerising reaction, burning, explosion. 8. Oscillating reactions: oscillators (Lotka-Volterr, Brusselator, Oregonator), limiting cycle, recurrent equation. Relaxation methods: temperature jump, pressure jump, super-sound, and microwaves. 9. Rate constant temperature dependence I: Arrhenius equation, collision theory, probability factor, Lindemann theory of unimolecular reactions. 10. Rate constant temperature dependence II: surface of potential energy, activated complex, Eyring equation, thermodynamic of reactions. 11. Diffusion. Mass fluxes and diffusion coefficients. 1st and 2nd Fick`s laws. Analytical and numerical solutions of the diffusion equations, boundary constrains. Diffusion in non-ideal systems. 12. Mechanism of electron transfer in homogeneous and heterogeneous media (electrode/solution interface), Marcus theory, overpotential, Butler-Volmer equation, electron transfer coefficient, rate of electrode reaction, heterogeneous rate constant, electrode process coupled with homogeneous chemical reactions (preceding, ECE mechanism, following chemical reaction), evaluation of rate heterogeneous constants by means of common electrochemical methods,
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses