PřF:C2022 Organic Chemistry I - Seminar - Course Information
C2022 Organic Chemistry I - SeminarFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. RNDr. Ctibor Mazal, CSc. (lecturer)
RNDr. Slávka Janků, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jaromír Literák, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Peter Šebej, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jakub Švenda, PhD. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- RNDr. Slávka Janků, Ph.D.
Department of Chemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
Supplier department: Department of Chemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- C2022/01: Wed 10:00–11:50 C12/311, S. Janků
C2022/02: Thu 8:00–9:50 A08/309, S. Janků
C2022/03: Tue 8:00–9:50 C12/311, J. Literák
C2022/04: Thu 10:00–11:50 A08/309, J. Literák
C2022/05: Wed 10:00–11:50 A08/309, J. Švenda
C2022/06: Wed 12:00–13:50 A08/309, J. Švenda
C2022/07: Wed 10:00–11:50 B09/316, P. Šebej
- NOW ( C2021 Organic Chemistry I )|| C2021 Organic Chemistry I
Knowledge of general and inorganic chemistry.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 15 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the special seminar is to exercise the topics introduced in lecture Organic Chemistry I on practical examples. Such a training facilitate preparation for the examination in Organic chemistry I.
- Organic chemistry I Organic chemistry of the basic hydrocarbon skeletons. The subject of organic chemistry. Chemical bonds and bonding in organic molecules. Hybridization of the carbon atom, bonding energy, bond length, polarity of the chemical bond. Inductive and mesomeric effects on the chemical bonds, conjugation. General criteria of chemical reaction - reaction kinetics, reaction profiles and mechanism. Activation energy and enthalpy of the reaction. Chemical nomenclature. Alkanes and cycloalkanes, their chemical nomenclature. Chain isomerism, conformation analysis of alkanes and cycloalkanes (with stress on cyclohexane ring). Fused cyclic systems. Newmann projection. cis-trans Isomerism of cycloalkanes. Radical reactions as typical reactions of this system. Summary of radical reactions. Optical activity and symmetry of molecules. Chiral molecules, conditions of chirality. Methods of space objects presentation. Enantiomers, optical activity, specific rotation and its measurement, optical purity, racemic mixture. Molecules with more than one stereocenter. Cahn, Ingold, Prelog rules. Nomenclature of enantiomers. Meso compounds. Resolution of enantiomers. Alkenes, stereochemistry of double bond, cis-trans and E-Z nomenclature. Addition reactions, their summary with attention to the stereochemistry and mechanism. Polymerizations. Dienes and polyenes (cumulated, isolated, conjugated). Reactions of conjugated dienes, conditions and mechanism of 1,2- and 1,4-addition. Isoprenoids (monoterpenes, sesquiterpenes, di-, tri- and tetraterpenes, carotenes). Electronic spectra and relation between the structure and its spectrum. Pericyclic reactions - electrocyclic reactions, cycloaddition reactions, the rules of their realization, sigmatropic rearrangements. Akynes and their structure. Properties of the triple bond, addition reactions (electrophilic and nucleophilic additions), acidity of the hydrogen atoms bound on sp- carbon, pKa. The phenomenon of aromaticity and its properties. Nonbenzoid aromates (polycyclic aromates, annulenes, aromatic ions). Mechanism of aromatic electrophilic substitution. Summary of electrophilic reactions, formation of electrophilic reagents. Effect of substituents on the reactivity and orientation. Hammet equation, sigma and rho constants. Ipso substitution. Nucleophilic substitution on the aromatic ring (SN1, SN2, elimination-addition mechanism). Conditions for addition reactions and reactions of oxidation. Substitution a other reactions on fused aromatic compounds.
- Potáček, Milan - Mazal, Ctibor - Janků, Slávka. Řešené příklady z organické chemie. 1. vyd. Brno : Masarykova univerzita v Brně, 2005. 243 s. ISBN 80-210-2274-4. info
- POTÁČEK, Milan and Eduard NOVÁČEK. Organická chemie : příručka řešených příkladů. Edited by Slávka Janků. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 1997. 201 s. ISBN 8021016728. info
- MCMURRY, John. Organická chemie. Translated by Jaroslav Jonas. Vyd. 1. Praha: Vysoká škola chemicko-technologická v Praze, 2007. 1 sv. ISBN 9788070806371. info
- Teaching methods
- class discussions upon the corresponding lecture topics
- Assessment methods
- During the course several tests are written and their good results are the conditions for credits obtaining.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.