PřF:GI231 Methods of prospection min.dep - Course Information
GI231 Methods of prospection for mineral deposits - practical exercisesFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: graded credit.
- Mgr. Vojtěch Wertich, Ph.D. (lecturer), doc. Mgr. Jan Cempírek, Ph.D. (deputy)
Mgr. Jakub Výravský (lecturer)
Mgr. Přemysl Pořádek (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Jan Cempírek, Ph.D. (alternate examiner)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Rostislav Melichar, Dr.
Department of Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. Mgr. Martin Ivanov, Dr.
Supplier department: Department of Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
- Mon 18. 9. to Fri 15. 12. Thu 14:00–15:50 Gp,02006
- ( PROGRAM ( KOS ) || G5061 Economic geology I ) && ( (!( PROGRAM ( B - GE )|| PROGRAM ( N - GE )|| PROGRAM ( D - GE4 )|| PROGRAM ( D - GE )|| PROGRAM ( C - CV ))) || ( NOW ( G0101 Occupational healt and safety )&& NOW ( C7777 Handling chemicals )))
The course is offered for students, who want to learn methods and practices used in prospection for mineral deposits.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 21 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/21, only registered: 0/21, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/21
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 28 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Aim of the course is to teach students how to use methods and create documentation used during the prospection for mineral deposits.
- 1) Short review of geology and raw material potential of certain area (nearby Brno).
- 2) Practical exercise of soil sampling for metalometry, documentation of sampling points.
- 3) Practical exercise of panning heavy minerals concentrate from stream sediments, documentation of sampling points, mineralogical and geochemical evaluation of the concentrate (binocular loupe, XRF spectrometer).
- 4) Practical exercise of solid rocks sampling (chip sampling, channel sampling), documentation of sampling points.
- 5) Practical exercise of core logging.
- recommended literature
- MARJORIBANKS, Roger W. Geological methods in mineral exploration and mining. 2nd ed. New York: Springer, 2010. xv, 238. ISBN 9783540743750. info
- Teaching methods
- Practical work of students in the field according to instructions of the lecturers. Students will be split to teams of three people.
- Assessment methods
- Graded credit will be given for completing protocols from each lecture.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.