PřF:GI231 Methods of prospection min.dep - Course Information
GI231 Methods of prospection for mineral deposits - practical exercisesFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Vojtěch Wertich, Ph.D. (lecturer), doc. Mgr. Jan Cempírek, Ph.D. (deputy)
Mgr. Jakub Výravský (lecturer)
Mgr. Přemysl Pořádek (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Jan Cempírek, Ph.D. (alternate examiner)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Vojtěch Wertich, Ph.D.
Department of Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. Mgr. Martin Ivanov, Dr.
Supplier department: Department of Geological Sciences - Earth Sciences Section - Faculty of Science
- Tue 16:00–17:50 Gs,-1011
- ( PROGRAM ( KOS ) || G5061 Economic geology I || NOW ( G5061 Economic geology I ) || G5061k Economic geology I || NOW ( G5061k Economic geology I )) && ( (!( PROGRAM ( B - GE )|| PROGRAM ( N - GE )|| PROGRAM ( D - GE4 )|| PROGRAM ( D - GE )|| PROGRAM ( C - CV ))) || ( NOW ( G0101 Occupational healt and safety )&& NOW ( C7777 Handling chemicals )))
The course is offered for students, who want to learn methods and practices used in prospection for mineral deposits.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 32 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Aim of the course is to teach students how to use methods and create documentation used during the prospection for mineral deposits.
- Learning outcomes
- The student will be acquainted with the procedures and methodology used in the prospecting of mineral deposits.
- 1) Short review of geology and raw material potential of certain area (nearby Brno).
- 2) Practical exercise of soil sampling for metalometry, documentation of sampling points.
- 3) Practical exercise of panning heavy minerals concentrate from stream sediments, documentation of sampling points, mineralogical and geochemical evaluation of the concentrate (binocular loupe, XRF spectrometer).
- 4) Practical exercise of solid rocks sampling (chip sampling, channel sampling), documentation of sampling points.
- 5) Practical exercise of core logging.
- recommended literature
- MARJORIBANKS, Roger W. Geological methods in mineral exploration and mining. 2nd ed. New York: Springer, 2010. xv, 238. ISBN 9783540743750. info
- Teaching methods
- Practical work of students in the field according to instructions of the lecturers. Students will be split to teams of three people.
- Assessment methods
- Graded credit will be given for completing protocols from each lecture.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.