PdF:Ze0151 Didactics of Geography 1 - Course Information
Ze0151 Didactics of Geography 1Faculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- doc. PaedDr. Eduard Hofmann, CSc. (seminar tutor)
doc. Mgr. Petr Knecht, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PaedDr. Eduard Hofmann, CSc.
Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Kateřina Brabcová
Supplier department: Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
- The course takes place in parallel with the school practice and reflective seminars.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in Geography (programme PdF, N-ZE2) (2)
- Course objectives
- Students are provided with basic theoretical knowledge of geography education with special attention to their application in the school practice. The aim of the subject is to describe and critically evaluate the quality of geography teaching in real school practice. Emphasis is placed not only on the evaluation of teaching, but also on the evaluation of geography textbooks, atlases and other educational media. Through independent or group descriptive, analytical, and critically-evaluating work, students will gain knowledge of the goals and contents of geography education. Students will confront the geography education theory with the practical realization of geography teaching.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course the student will be able to:
Define and justify the general and specific goals of geography education.
Search, analyse, and interpret information about the development of a geography curriculum at primary and secondary school;
Design and implement the entire lesson for the selected geographic education themes;
Establish specific and measurable lesson goals;
To prepare the lesson according to the given structure, to implement it in school practice and to analyse suggestions for improvement.
To critically evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of the realization of teaching geography at lower secondary school in which the student performs pedagogical practice.
- Assessing the past experience of teaching geography at particular levels of schools;
- 3P - For the first time I introduce myself, for the first time I introduce geography as a school subject, for the first time I am teaching geography;
- Creation of introductory lessons - what is geography about and what is its contribution to society;
- Creating basic geographic education goals
- Evaluation of textbooks, both quantitative and qualitative, selection of textbooks - justification;
- Critical evaluation of the strengths and weaknesses of geography teaching and learning in Czechia.
- required literature
- HOFMANN, E. a kol. Handbook_číst I. IS MUNI.
- BIDDULPH, Mary, David LAMBERT and David BALDERSTONE. Learning to teach geography in the secondary school : a companion to school experience. Third edition. London: Routledge, Taylor & Francis Group, 2015. xi, 349. ISBN 9781138779440. info
- recommended literature
- GERSMEHL, Philip. Teaching geography. 3rd ed. London: Guilford Press, 2014. ix, 332. ISBN 9781462516414. info
- Teaching methods
- Individual, pair and group work with professional information sources. Presentation of individual / pair / group work results at the seminar.
- Assessment methods
- Elaboration of given seminar work, timely submission and approval by the teacher of the subject.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/autumn2021/Ze0151