PdF:Ze0167 Research in Geography Educatio - Course Information
Ze0167 Research in Geography EducationFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- doc. Mgr. Petr Knecht, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Petr Knecht, Ph.D.
Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Kateřina Brabcová
Supplier department: Department of Geography - Faculty of Education
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- Ze0167/01: Wed 8:00–9:50 učebna 5a, P. Knecht
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Lower Secondary School Teacher Training in Geography (programme PdF, N-ZE2) (2)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to prepare students for doctoral studies in geography education at Masaryk University, or to improve the research competencies of prospective geography teachers. The subject shows the specifics of research in geographic education and represents its basic thematic areas and approaches.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course the student will be able to:
To create an outline of a research project in the framework of Doctoral Studies Didactics of Geography PdF MU;
To understand basic principles of pedagogical empirical methodologies;
Choose and develop relevant competitive research topis that will can be used in the admission procedure for doctoral studies at PdF MU;
Reasoning and presentation of a clear and structured research problem and subsuequent research methodology.
- Importance, specifics and utilization of research in geographic education.
- The main topics of research in geographic education.
- Sources of research in geographic education: mapping the state-of-the-art.
- Research designs and approaches in research in geography education (case studies, action research, ethnographic approaches, hermeneutics, meta-analysis, etc.).
- Selection of the research theme, defining objectives of the research, justification of a research question.
- required literature
- BEDNARZ, S. W., HEFFRON, S., & HUYNH, N. T. (2013). A road map for 21st century geography education: Geography education research. Washington: Association of American Geographers
- ROBERTS, M. (2010). What is “evidence-based practice” in geography education? International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education, 19(2), 91–95
- CATLING, S. (2010). Sources of evidence for conducting research in geography education. International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education, 19(2), 97–101.
- recommended literature
- ŘEZNÍČKOVÁ, D. (2015). Didaktika geografie: proměny identity oboru. In I. Stuchlíková & T. Janík, et al., Oborové didaktiky v České republice: bilance a perspektivy (s. 259–288). Brno: Masarykova univerzita. ISBN 978-80-210- 7769-0.
- Studie z časopisů: International Research in Geographical and Environmental Education; Journal of Geography; Geography; Zeitschrift für Geographiedidaktik./Journal of Geography Education; Geography in Higher Education
- Teaching methods
- Problem-based lectures, class discussion, research project, presentation. Independent studying of compulsory as well as recommended literature.
- Assessment methods
- Written project of doctoral dissertation.
Knowledge of educational methodology.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/spring2022/Ze0167