FI:PA053 Distributed Systems - Course Information
PA053 Distributed Systems and MiddlewareFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- RNDr. Michal Batko, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Poskytovatelé Specifické podpory výuky
- Mgr. Bc. Pavla Wernerová (přepisovatel)
- Guaranteed by
- RNDr. Michal Batko, Ph.D.
Department of Machine Learning and Data Processing - Faculty of Informatics
Supplier department: Department of Machine Learning and Data Processing - Faculty of Informatics
- Mon 13. 2. to Mon 15. 5. Mon 8:00–9:50 D2
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 51 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The goal of the course is to introduce possible solutions to problems related to the design of a robust distributed application.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course students should be able to:
understand and explain the abstractions provided by operating systems and middleware layers in a distributed environment
organize an analysis of the communication, replication, sharing issues,
work with information on the abstractions provided by the distributed operating system kernels,
work with information on the abstractions provided by the middleware layers,
assess specific system studies,
use modern technologies to create distributed applications.
- Distributed system concepts, benefits, problems, typical architectural patterns (single system image, client-server, service oriented).
- Technological solutions related to distributed systems (communication, replication, sharing, migration).
- Operating systems and middleware for distributed systems, provided abstractions, and specific system studies (CORBA, RMI, JMS, EJB, WS, , and others).
- Operating systems: Concurrent and distributed software design , Jean Bacon and Tim Harris, Addison Wesley, 2003, ISBN: 0-321-11789-1
- Teaching methods
- Assessment methods
- Combination of homework (3x 2 points), a presentation of a selected topic (3 points) and a written exam (6 points). At least 7 points are needed for successful completion.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fi/spring2023/PA053