PřF:Bi6170 Genetics II - Course Information
Bi6170 Genetics IIFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. RNDr. Jana Řepková, CSc. (lecturer)
doc. RNDr. Petr Kuglík, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. RNDr. Renata Veselská, Ph.D., M.Sc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Jana Řepková, CSc.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. RNDr. Jana Řepková, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- Thu 10:00–11:50 A11/305
- Bi3060 Basic genetics
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 11 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to explain the genetic principles: non-mendelian inheritance of extranuclear DNA of different organisms, molecular organization of mitochondrial and chloroplast DNA, human behavioral genetics and other model animals, mutagenesis, genetic variability of mutagenic responses, special cases of linkage mapping such as analysis of tetrades, mitochondrial disorders and chloroplast engineering.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course the students will be able to understand the special topics such as principles of non-mendelian inheritance of extranuclear DNA of different organisms; molecular organization of mitochondrial and chloroplast DNA; genetic principles of human behavioral genetics and other model animals; genetic principles of mutagenesis; genetic variability of mutagenic responses; students will be able to explain special cases of linkage mapping such as analysis of tetrades, to describe causes of human mitochondrial disorders and results of chloroplast engineering.
- 1. J. G. Mendel - founder of genetics. Progress of sciences in the first half of 19. century. Heritage of J.G.Mendel. 2. Rediscovery of Mendel´s laws. Heritage of Mendel. 3. Extranuclear inheritance - chloroplast, mitochondrial and other cases. Comparison and inheritance principles in different organisms. Mitochondrial genome, mitochondrial inheritance and rare human diseases. 4. Plastidial genome and plastidial inheritance. Chloroplast engineering. Infectious particles. 5. Special cases of linkage mapping. 6. Mutations and their importance in genetics. Terms, meaning, history of study. Classification of mutations. Genetic consequences of genic and chromosomal mutations. Examples of hereditary human diseases. 7. Principles of radiobiology. UV and ionising radiations - mutagenic effects. 8. Chemical mutagenesis. Molecular mechanisms, promutagens. Genotoxic substances in environment. 9. Genetic variability of mutagenic responses. 10. Behavioral genetics - methodology. 11. Behavioral genetics and man.
- recommended literature
- SNUSTAD, D. Peter and Michael J. SIMMONS. Genetika. Translated by Jiřina Relichová. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2009. 871 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-4852-2. Online knihkupectví Munipress info
- HATINA, Jiří and Brian D. SYKES. Lékařská genetika : problémy a přístupy. Vyd. 1. Praha: Academia, 1999. 296 s. ISBN 8020007008. info
- RELICHOVÁ, Jiřina and Jaroslav MALINA. Panoráma biologické a sociokulturní antropologie 2: Genetika (Panorama of biological and sociocultural anthropology 2: Genetics). Editor: Jaroslav Malina. Brno (CZ): Nadace Universitas Masarykiana v Brně, nakladatelství a vydavatelství Nauma v Brně, 2000. 89 pp. Modulové učební texty pro studenty antropologie. ISBN 80-210-2473-9. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures weekly. Powerpoint presentations are available to students.
- Assessment methods
- Oral exam - ten minutes fluent address. Knowledge of the subject and broader connection with other genetic subject. Understand and explain the chosen topic. Evaluation by the teacher.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2019/Bi6170