PdF:SZ6097 Theory and Methodology of Educ - Course Information
SZ6097 Theory and Methodology of EducationFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/.5. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
Taught in person.
- Mgr. Lenka Gulová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. et Mgr. Markéta Košatková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. et Mgr. Martina Kurowski, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Kateřina Lojdová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Jiří Němec, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Radek Pospíšil, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Jiří Němec, Ph.D.
Department of Social Education - Faculty of Education
Supplier department: Department of Social Education - Faculty of Education
- Sat 2. 4. 8:00–10:50 učebna 35, Sat 9. 4. 17:00–19:50 učebna 50
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! NOWANY ( SZ6629 Theory and Methodology of Education , SZ6029 Theory and Methodology of Education )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course Educational Theory and Methodology is included in the innovated curriculum considering the profile of a graduate of a bachelor’s programme, which develops general teaching competencies, such as the ability to plan attractive educational activities from a selected area of interest (see the concept of the course’s seminars). It also sets to convey some incommunicable experience of the methods of personality development (the conative, ethical, aesthetic, social, etc. areas). The individual lectures are designed as a series of specific educational concepts (theories), the knowledge of which is a part of broader professional competencies, which the graduate can apply as an employee of non-school educational facilities (childcare worker, leisure-time animator) or later as a teacher. The lectures introduce topics, which are currently highly relevant for the society. According to their own interests, the students choose a practical (activation) seminar where they learn about practical methods and specific development of competencies through self-experiential forms of education. Some examples of these seminars are the Theory and Methodology of Games, T&M of Multicultural Education, T&M of Drama Education, T&M of Aesthetic Education, T&M of Environmental Education, T&M of Health Education, Basics of Axiology, etc. The lecture blocks also involve meeting with interesting and important people who, by speaking from experience, can share content with the students which would otherwise be hard to communicate; e.g. the Holocaust, etc.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, the students will be able to: • describe areas of education and find links between their selected theories and practical examples. • construct a simple educational concept of a several-day-long event (outdoor school, school camp, course, etc.) including suggestions for specific activities regarding specific groups (participants) • describe the essence of social and personality education and illustrate it using examples • create a set of games appropriate for the development of specific cognitive processes and areas of personality development • design specific educational strategies for pupils with a different cultural background, with a social disadvantage, etc., with the goal of creating a positive classroom climate • describe the processes that lead to child (pupil) exclusion from the natural social environment (e.g. a class, peer group, family, etc.) and suggest prevention measures • work with the idea of values within the educational process • describe the importance of multicultural education in schools • understand new teaching approaches applied in the practice of education Key concepts: value education, otherness, multicultural education, leisure-time education, socially-educational aspect of education, respect, culture of recognition, society, family, school
- Introduction to the Theory and Methodology of Education In this lecture, we will explain why it is important to deal with the educational aspects of personality development of pupils, but also of teachers, introduce the individual topics of the lecture blocks and give the interrelationship between the lectures and the compulsory elective seminars. The first meeting is also devoted to organizational matters, introduction of individual teachers, content of seminars, from which you can choose according to your interest and your own choice. The requirements for the completion of the course will be presented.
- Forming attitudes and prejudices Forming attitudes and working with them. Students will learn about and critically examine theoretical concepts that explain the process of prejudice formation in the classroom (society) and explain the principles behind attitude formation: the structure of attitude, the importance of media, the importance of experience in the constitution of attitude. They will reflect on the application of the theories in an educational setting, respectively - how to work with attitudes, what is the role of the teacher in creating a positive classroom environment. They will evaluate examples of concrete experiments and real situations.
- The use of critical thinking in a globalised world, the impact and importance of media education Media literacy and media education, the importance of school in understanding (mass)media. Critical reflection on media messages: mass media and its impact on contemporary society, especially on the individuality of children and youth. Manipulative effects of the media. Education for critical thinking: basic methods of active learning (three-phase learning model E-U-R, experiential learning, etc.).
- Alternative educational methods in the work of the educator Definition of alternative directions and innovations, their historical roots. Searching for characteristic features of alternatives available in the Czech Republic (with an overview of alternative schools in Brno). Reasons that lead parents to choose an alternative school. Examples of good practice. Innovative SOLE method.
- Teacher's work in a multi-ethnic school classroom. Multiethnic school classes in the context of Czech education policy. Barriers and opportunities in education of pupils with different mother tongue. Tools and types for working in an inclusive environment. Social heterogeneity in the Czech Republic after 1989, perception of otherness and the importance of multiethnic classrooms in society.
- Respectful education and authority Definition of authority, types of authority, sources of teacher authority. Respectful education as an example of the transformation of working with authority in education. The class teacher and his role in education Educational activities of the class teacher in managing education and training in the classroom, organizing its life, keeping documentation, taking care of material matters, safety and health of pupils. The class teacher as a guarantor/coordinating and integrating agent of educational work. Cooperation with teachers, school management, counsellors and parents. Classroom lessons.
- Discipline and power in the classroom. The forms and transformations of discipline in the school. Rules in the classroom and working with them. Preventing and dealing with indiscipline (proactive and reactive classroom management), including teacher misbehaviour towards pupils. Power in the classroom, power constellations, teacher power and pupil power. Pupil non-conformity and resistance.
- Family, school and community Transformations of the family, the family in postmodern society. The family in children's lives, the relationship between family and schooling (reproduction of social inequalities in education, harmony of normative worlds). Cooperation between school and family - current trends (example of contracts with parents). The functionality of the family. Indicators of family functionality in the work of the pedagogical worker. Cooperating organizations.
- Social disadvantage, education for values Social disadvantage: challenging situations. Students will learn and understand the social pedagogical aspects of education. They will analyse challenging situations in the work of the educator related to social disadvantage of children, pupils and adolescents. They will understand the importance of environmental pedagogy and individual and group activation as part of the educational process and their application in the context of social pedagogy and social work. The importance of values in working with (not only) socially disadvantaged individuals and groups. Education to values as a part of education of pedagogical staff.
- Theoretical reflection on societal phenomena: implications for pedagogy, knowledge and the teaching profession. Theoretical reflection on the shape of education in the present and the past. Reflection as an important part of the educational process. A sociological-pedagogical analysis of society-wide processes reflected in school everyday life. The aim of the lecture is to look for connections between social phenomena in society, knowledge and pedagogy.
- Educational possibilities of games Experiential methods and games, their use in school and out-of-school settings. Students will clarify how games convey knowledge to students that is difficult to verbally communicate, explain. They will apply a general model of play as a "picture of human reality", identifying the nature of simulation, role-taking, and the principles and functions underlying the nature of educational games.
- required literature
- Teorie a metodika výchovy - výukový text, dostupný ZDE: https://is.muni.cz/auth/do/rect/el/estud/pedf/2022jaro/tmv/web/index.html
- STŘELEC, Stanislav. Teorie a metodika výchovy-pojetí předmětu (The theory and methodology of education-the conception of subject). In Studie z teorie a metodiky výchovy. Brno: MSD, s.r.o., 2002. p. 9-13, 150 pp. ISBN 80-86633-00-4. info
- recommended literature
- DAMASIO, Antonio R. Descartes' error :emotion, reason, and the human brain. 1st ed. New York: Quill, 1998. xix, 312 s. ISBN 0-380-72647-5. info
- not specified
- BREZINKA, Wolfgang. Východiska k poznání výchovy :úvod k základům vědy o výchově, k filozofii výchovy a k praktické pedagogice. 1. vyd. Brno: L. Marek, 2001. 310 s. ISBN 80-86263-23-1. info
- Teaching methods
- Study the individual topics in the syllabus, familiarize themselves with the recommended reading and prepare for the written test.
- Assessment methods
- written test, multiple choice test
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 6 hodin.
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/spring2022/SZ6097