FSS:HEN902a Scientific Article I - Course Information
HEN902a Scientific Article IFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. Mgr. Karel Stibral, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- doc. Mgr. Karel Stibral, Ph.D.
Department of Environmental Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Veronika Išová
Supplier department: Department of Environmental Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Environmental Humanities (programme FSS, D-SO4) (2)
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to develop the basic publishing skills of doctoral program students in the area of their research (or the field of their dissertation) as an indispensable preparation for the future academic career. Student will publish a research paper meeting specified criteria (see Assessment methods and criteria) and the norms of the field area chosen by the student.
- Learning outcomes
- Student should be able to publish a scientific paper with a clear structure, clearly defined hypotheses and methodology and conclusions. The article may be a research or review paper and should be published in a journal in the Czech Republic. The final output is a published scientific article or or a paper whose acceptance for print has been confirmed.
- The course does not have a syllabus, it consists of individual consultations.
- SCHNUR, Harald. Schreiben. Eine lebensnahe Anleitung für die Geistes- und Sozialwissenschaften. Wiesbaden: VS Verlag, 2010. 136 s. ISBN 9783531171012.
- COOPER, Sheila a Patton Rosemary. Writing Logically, Thinking Critically. San Francisco: Pearson/Longman, 2013.
- MOGULL, Scott A. Scientific And Medical Communication: A Guide For Effective Practice. New York: Routledge, 2017. 372 s. ISBN 9781138842557
- HAYOT, Eric. The Elements of Academic Style: Writing for the Humanities. New. York: Columbia University Press, 2014. 256 s. ISBN 9780231168014.
- HELÁN, Robert. Teaching Academic Writing to Doctoral Students in the Context of English as a Foreign Language: Implementing Best Practices from Writing Research. In 15th biennial Writing Development in Higher Education (WDHE) Conference, Centre for Academic Writing, Coventry University, United Kingdom. 2014. URL info
- HAMP-LYONS, Liz and Ben HEASLEY. Study writing : a course in writing skills for academic purposes. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2006. 213 s. ISBN 9780521534963. info
- GÓMEZ-MARTÍNEZ, José Luis. Teória eseje : (esej ako literárny žáner, štúdium jej vlastností). Translated by Paulína Šišmišová. Bratislava: Archa, 1996. 135 s. ISBN 8071151211. info
- GIARRUSSO, Roseann. A guide to writing sociology papers. Edited by Judith Richlin-Klonsky - Ellen Strenski. 3rd ed. New York: St. Martin's Press, 1994. x, 180. ISBN 0312084293. info
- Teaching methods
- Individual consultations.
- Assessment methods
- Publication of a scientific article at least in a journal that is in the List of (Czech) Scientific Reviewed Periodicals for the relevant year, in the peer-reviewed collective monograph (the review will be requested from the editor), or of course in ERIH, Scopus or WoS. The credits are awarded for the published article / chapter or against an official acknowledgment of acceptance for publication (not applicable to monographs). The student must be the first author in case of co-authorship. In case the student co-authors the article as the second author, the article is evaluated as 50% fulfilment of the requirement (two papers/chapters must be provided in case of being a second author; or three papers/chapters in case of being the third author).
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught each semester.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2019/HEN902a