Final state doctoral examination and defence of the doctoral thesis
REQUIREMENTS FOR STATE DOCTORAL EXAM:
Obtaining sufficien knowledge of general ethics.
Demonstrate an overview in the different areas of bioethics
Demonstrate a deep knowledge of bioethics in the area of focus
The content of the state doctoral examination is a general and special bioethics focusing on the topic of dissertation work.
The part of the doctoral exam is proving the profound knowledge of literature related to the dissertation thesis and presenting and defending the basic theses of the dissertation thesis with the simultaneous demonstration of the argumentation skills.
The student also demonstrates basic knowledge of statistical data processing and basic knowledge of scientific work.
The State Doctoral Exam consists of an Examining Board.
A necessary prerequisite for the submission of the final state doctoral examination application is the fulfilment of all the requirements determined by the doctoral board. At the latest, on the date of submitting the application, the student must submit the doctoral thesis statements (if they are determined by the decision of the doctoral board). The state doctoral examination will then proceed within one year after the submission of the application. Commonly, a part of the state doctoral examination is the discussion regarding the statements of the doctoral thesis, unless stated otherwise by the doctoral board or doctoral committee.
The state doctoral examination and the defense of the doctoral thesis are carried out according to the MU SZŘ, Articles 31, 32 and 33.
FORMAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THE DISSERTATION:
Doctoral studies are completed by writing the dissertation thesis and its defense. The following study and research duties must be fulfilled before defense of the dissertation.
The preparation of the dissertation includes especially participation in educational events, literature studies, preparation of an own project, work on an own project, data collection, sample processing, lecture presentation and clinical practice.
Partial results of the dissertation are presented in clinical seminars.
The formal requirements for the dissertation are modified according to directive of the dean Nařízení děkana LF MU 3/2013 s platností od 1. 10. 2013 is.muni.cz/do/med/uredni_deska/pravni_normy/smernice_dekana/2013/3-2013-smerniceLFMU_disertacni_prace_final.pdf
Requirements of the study
The basis of the doctoral studies at the Faculty of Medicine of the MU is the procedural pursuit of preparation of the doctoral thesis in close and regular interaction with the tutor and supplemented by the faculty-wide applicable terms for completing the postgraduate studies.
Before the defence of the doctoral thesis is performed, the following conditions need to be met:
- fulfil the requirements of the given individual study plan
- complete at least 5 fields of study courses of a common basis
The common courses encompass the stated fields of scientific knowledge and capabilities. They can be completed as a part of the organised courses at the MU (with cooperation with CEITEC, Faculty of Science, etc.) or through the analogical external courses (e.g. The Course in the Fundamentals of Research Work Administered by the CAS).
THE FIELDS OF STUDY COURSES OF A COMMON BASIS:
1. Scientific Information, medicine based on evidence (e.g. the Medicine Based on Scientific Proof course)
2. Ethical and legal aspects of research (e.g. the Bio-medicinal Research Ethics, Law, Ethics and Philosophy in Science courses)
3. Organisation of research projects and clinical trials (e.g. the Planning, Organisation and Evaluation of Clinical Studies courses)
4. Data analysis (e.g. the Analysis of Clinical Data courses)
5. Publication, presentation and grant-related skills (e.g. the Art of Research and Scientific Writing courses)
6. Computer Network User
- complete at least 4 subject-area courses (within the competence of the doctoral board)
- meet the publication activity requirements at least in the specified range (see below)
- undergo an internship abroad (with the duration of at least one month), alternatively participate in an international project (attendance at the regular project team meetings is mandatory)
- present original data at an international conference
- submit the doctoral thesis
- pass the final state doctoral examination
-acquire the total amount of 240 credits over the course of studies (in case the MU study and examination regulations change, the credit system may be bypassed at the discretion of the doctoral board).
The participation in teaching can then only reach the maximum of 150 hours/4 years
CURRICULUM SPECIFIC CONDITIONS
1. At least one original authentic publication published in a journal with a measured impact factor, or two original authentic publications in extenso (at least one of the publications must relate to the doctoral thesis) in a reviewed scientific journal registered in an international database (Medline, Web of Science, Scopus, ERIH...)
2. At least one original authentic publication published in a scientifically reviewed journal - even in the case of meeting the mentioned requirement of one original authentic publication in a journal with a measured impact factor.
The Remaining Modules:
1. At least two original authentic publications in extenso (at least one of the publications must relate to the doctoral thesis) in a reviewed scientific journal.
2. At least one original authentic publication in extenso published in a reviewed scientific indexed journal.
THE PROCESS OF CONSTRUCTING AN INDIVIDUAL STUDY PLAN CAN BE DESCRIBED BY THE FOLLOWING:
25 ECTS - THE SHARED COURSES OF THE FM MU
20 ECTS - CURRICULUM-SPECIFIC COURSES
195 ECTS - the doctoral (defence of the doctoral thesis + the final state doctoral examination), publication activities, internship abroad, attendance at an international conference, assistance in pedagogical activities and teaching
Suggestion of theses topics and the topics of defended theses
1. Mlčenlivost ve zdravotnictví a její meze
2. Právní režim soudobého zdravotnického výzkumu
3. Cognitive enhancement
4. Spor o domácí porody a odbornou asistenci při nich - mezinárodní, evropský a národní právní a etický rozměr.
5. Zásada rovnosti a antidiskriminačních opatření ve zdravotnictví a jeho veřejném financování - právní rámec, etické úvahy, politické souvislosti.