Degree programme specification
Governments across the world carry out many tasks that are fundamental to well-functioning and developing societies. Public services can be delivered by government employees or through a range of partnerships with the private or not-for-profit sectors. Related expenditures may exceed 40 % of GDP and in some countries the number of government employees may account for more than 30% of the workforce.
Is this study programme suitable for you?
- Do you want to better understand the complexity of the government and the public sector which influence your life from the day you are born?
- Do you want to know more about related decision-making and alternatives of public service delivery, and to become familiar with the most recent developments which you can use to think more systematically and critically about the current developments in the public sector of your home country?
If your answer is yes, this program is for you and we would be very happy if you apply for it and we can welcome you to our team.
Admission ProceduresApplication procedure into Bachelor's degree programmes in English - Spring semestr 2022/2023Submission deadline until midnight
- Information on entrance examinations designed for this degree programme
Our Bachelor's degree programmes are open to students who successfully finished secondary school education. Applicants must have a good command of the English language. Please see https://www.econ.muni.cz/en/admissions/bachelor-studies/how-to-apply for complete information on how to apply or contact email@example.com. For application process, the applicant needs to attach the following documents to the e-application:
- Complete e-application form - online in Masaryk University Information System
- Personal data form
- Certified copy of a Secondary School-Leaving Certificate and final transcripts of records
- Statement of purpose
- English Language Certification
- Essay on a chosen topic
All application materials must be in English or in Czech.
The tuition fee is 3500 EUR for the academic year.
- Evaluation criteria valid for the applicants applying for a place on this degree programmeInformation available at: https://www.econ.muni.cz/en/admissions/bachelor-studies/application-requirements
The main aim of the suggested programme is to provide students with multidisciplinary theoretical knowledge and practical skills that are necessary for
a) understanding basic economic concepts and specifics and complexity of public policy and decision-making in the public sector, and for
b) analytical thinking and using the theoretical concepts in dealing with socio-economic problems in practice.
The programme is intended for everyone who wants to understand relationships between the public and private sectors. Students will be introduced to the theoretical concepts related to the economics, economic policy, public administration and public policy and will be encouraged to employ them and think critically. They will also be provided with a knowledge on relevant decision-making and evaluation methods and tools.
- Learning Outcomes
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- understand and explain main theoretical concepts of economics;
- understand and explain main theoretical concepts of management;
- understand and explain main theoretical concepts of public economics, public policy and public administration;
- understand, explain and discuss developments in the European integration and policies, governance structures and law of the European Union;
- understand, explain and discuss developments in economic policy and the public sector in their home countries;
- think analytically, creatively and critically about current topics and issues from the above areas;
- efficiently search for relevant information and data, prepare a high quality academic texts dealing with the topics and present their work efficiently either individually or in a team;
- use the theoretical knowledge in discussing and solving real problems of economic and public policy.
- Occupational Profiles of Graduates
As a graduate of the program you will obtain competences that will help you pursue a future career in the public sector. You will be qualified to apply for economic and administrative positions in public administration and public sector organizations (including international organizations) where employees are required to understand the complexity of the public sector and the necessity to approach it critically also from the economic perspective. This program can also help you if you intend to pursue your career in the private sector, especially in organizations that are connected to the public sector (such as NGOs or consulting organizations).
- Practical Training
Practical training or internship are not an obligatory part of the study plan in this program. However, you may attend an optional course of practical training or internship. Even if you do not opt for an optional course, practical training will be included in the courses through a combination of various practice-oriented methods and teaching methods such as case studies, joint-projects, inviting experts with hands-on experience, etc.
- Goals of Theses
Elaboration of the final work of about 30-35 pages (without attachments) should verify the ability of students to apply problem-oriented approach to interest entities (businesses, public and state institutions, non-profit organizations, cities and regions, information systems, etc.), search for necessary set of relevant information, identify and accurately describe problem fields in accordance with acquired theoretical knowledge, determine appropriate methods and procedures for their applied analysis, describe and analyze obtained data and propose specific and typically feasible measures to resolve problem or optimized situations. The focus of the final work and its practical outcomes will be closely linked to the compulsory course of Practice, both content and form will be decided on in cooperation with the supervisor.
- Access to Further Studies
Successful completion of the program may help you apply for our continuous Master Degree Programs offered in English (Public Finance, Economics) or for similarly oriented Master Degree Programs in the Czech Republic or abroad.
- Additional Information