Degree programme specification
Do you feel an opportunity in the fast-growing job market of cybersecurity experts?
Do you enjoy looking at computer systems "under the skin", learning as much as possible about their nature, properties and behavior? Do you want to know the motivations of cyber-attackers and orient yourself in the legal environment of IT?
Do you want to study at a prestigious school featuring its own Cyber Range and cooperating with top companies and leading institutions of the local, national and international level? Then a professional bachelor's program in Cybersecurity is the right choice.
This unique multidisciplinary three-year professional Bachelor's study includes a guided professional internship and prepares students to get a job right immediately after graduation while those interested can continue in the follow-up Master's study.
On a European scale, there is evidence of interest in hundreds of thousands of cyber security professionals (generally up to 800,000 vacancies in IT in general, of which up to 2022 according to the EC Communication: Resistance, Deterrence and Defense… 450/2017 up to 350,000 vacancies in cybersecurity). Multidisciplinary professional education is explicitly needed by Czech authorities (NÚKIB) and economic associations. The program will meet the growing interest of both high school graduates and already employed jobseekers without formal education in the field who carry out professions where knowledge and skills in cybersecurity (system administrators, supervisory center operators, CSIRT team members, middle management of cyber security, eventually software engineers of security-relevant IT applications and systems, but also cyber security training staff, cyber security managers assistants).
- Learning Outcomes
After successfully completing his/her studies the graduate is able to:
- immediately get a job and continually adapt to changing processes and technologies
- work in positions related to the deployment and operation of secure IT systems and infrastructures in companies and organizations of various sectors such as IT, public administration, services, industry, healthcare
- recognize, understand and recognize opportunities and risks of intelligent systems, as well as cybersecurity risks globally and in an organization
- understand the basic elements of computer systems, both hardware and software, with focus to their reliable operation and cybersecurity incl. their vulnerabilities and manages to install, set up, manage and operate these systems
- explain and use fundamental techniques and technologies to ensure cybersecurity of entrusted IT systems and infrastructures
- understands ethical and legal principles of working with data, including commercially confidential, classified and personal data, and can apply them in specific procedures
- describe the basic parameters of the legal environment in the cyberspace, identify legislative requirements for the organization's activities and for the relevant professional roles
- explain and apply the basic principles of analysis, design, implementation and quality control of computer systems
- Occupational Profiles of Graduates
Graduates can get a job as system or network administrator, operators of Security Operations Centers, members of CSIRTs, lower or middle management of cybersecurity, or software engineers of secure IT applications and systems, but also as training workers or assistants to cybersecurity managers.
- Practical Training
During your studies, you will find a professional supervised internship in companies and organizations, where in direct contact with the practice you will learn about the real aspects of operating secure systems and learn to work in multidisciplinary teams.
Facilities of the Faculty of Informatics and Masaryk University with important strategic partners at the national and international level (National Office for Cyber and Information Security) and in the region, companies in the CERIT Science Park of the Faculty of Informatics, industrial partners of the faculty and other entities.
- Goals of Theses
In Bachelor thesis, the student is expected to demonstrate the ability to master selected security-relevant technology, secure a computer system, implement cybersecurity recommendations, deploy and configure a larger system, develop basic security analysis, describe risks in the organization and apply it in a particular organization.
- Access to Further Studies
Those interested can continue in the follow-up Master's study program Management of Software Systems, Services and Cybersecurity at the Faculty of Informatics or other programs.