This course (seminar) supports the lectures Bi5580 General Ecotoxicology. At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- conduct practical specific ecotoxicity bioassays
- use the bioassays for ecotoxicity assessment of chemical
- seek and work with toxicological information and interpret the data (individual project, database search)
- understand and interprete a set of ecotoxicological methods (practical exercises in RECETOX laboratories)
1. Principles of ecotoxicology - relation with environmental chemistry, studies of fate and effects of chemicals, risk assessment. 2. Evaluation, analyses and interpretation of toxicology data, toxicity of chemicals and chemical mixtures. 3. Examples of real experimental results (scientific papers from environmental chemistry and ecotoxicology), demonstrations and discussions on ecotoxicological methods. 4. Basic principles of reading and usage of scientific papers, preparation of students lecture of model scientific paper. Presentation of results to other students. 5. Preparation of an assay, which should extend the students ability of self thinking about environmental problems. Themes covering both well known environmental problems are provided for discussion and assays. 6. Excursion to research institution. Presentation of recent sofisticated instruments, their applications and possibilities in ecotoxicology. Illustration of simple experiments (cytotoxicity, dioxin-like toxicity), data analysis, protocol preparation.
CALOW, P. Handbook of Ecotoxicology Vol. I and II. London, U.K.: Blackwell Scientific publications, 1993. info
Practical exercises (3 independent tasks - biotests), independent project (database search, data analysis and interpretation, report preparation), presentations in laboratories (advanced ecotoxicity assays).
Finishing and submitting their individual project, finalization and presentation of the protocols from experimental exercises, participation in laboratory presentations.