FI:PA192 Secure hardware-based design - Course Information
PA192 Secure hardware-based system designFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/2/2. 5 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- RNDr. Zdeněk Matěj, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. Ing. Václav Přenosil, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- RNDr. Zdeněk Matěj, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
Supplier department: Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
- Tue 14. 9. to Tue 7. 12. Tue 8:00–9:50 A318
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- • Design of digital systems:
- encoding and data representation,
- logic algebra and optimization of the logical terms,
- implementation arithmetical and logical operations into digital systems.
• Architecture of digital systems:
- operational memory addressing methods,
- interruption system principles,
- direct memory access principles,
- input / output devices.
• Digital systems dependability:
- basics of probability theory and statistics.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 29 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course is focused on architectures of secure digital systems, to ensure reliability, dependability, and security of digital systems, assess and learn how to design safe and reliable digital systems. The course will present common problems and design of secure digital systems on real-world examples.
- Learning outcomes
- Upon completion of this course, students will have an overview of the architecture of secure digital systems.
- 1) Design of the Digital Systems:
- i) design elements of digital systems,
- ii) design of the combinational circuits,
- iii) design of the sequential circuits.
- 2) Design of the Digital Systems:
- i) digital systems cores,
- ii) design systems and simulation of the digital systems.
- 3) Architecture of Digital Systems:
- i) overview of microcontrollers, programmable arrays and DSP,
- ii) a/d and d/a converters,
- iii) digital signal processing methods.
- 4) Digital Systems Dependability:
- i) reliability evaluation of the electronics devices,
- ii) failures model of the technical systems,
- iii) methods and models of the redundancy,
- iv) Markov reliability and availability models.
- v) fault tolerant systems.
- 5) Digital Systems Testing:
- i) design of test step,
- ii) design detection and localization tests,
- iii) fault-tolerant systems,
- iv) checking methods.
- 6) Controls to manage the reuse of logic:
- i) implementing a state machine to direct data flow in case of more complex variations to the input of a resource.
- 7) Sharing logic resources:
- i) different resources are shared across different functional boundaries.
- 8) The impact of RESET:
- i) an improper reset strategy can create an unnecessarily large design or makes synthesis and optimization tools ineffective,
- ii) Design without RESET capability, design without SET capability, design without asynchronous RESET capability,
- iii) Impact of RAM RESET,
- iv) Optimization using set/reset pins for logic implementation.
- 9) Protection of HW against reverse engineering.
- Teaching methods
- The course consists of theoretical training, laboratory exercises, and solutions independently will project. The topic of the project will be specified in the opening hour of laboratory exercises. It is possible to design your own project topic, which must be approved by the teacher.
- Assessment methods
- - laboratory tasks with the defense - 35 points,
- evaluated home works or final written exam - 35 credits
- oral exam - 30 points,
Passing boundary for ECTS assessment - 51 credits.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information
- The course is split into theoretical and practical parts. The practical part will be done on the hardware and design software in the Laboratory of Architecture and design of digital systems. Study material and all technical documentation and manuals are available in English.