FSS:MEBn4003 Social Science Methodology - Course Information
MEBn4003 Social Science MethodologyFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 8 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Lukáš Lehotský, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Petr Ocelík, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Jan Osička, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Filip Černoch, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Hedvika Koďousková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. et Mgr. Veronika Zapletalová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Jan Osička, Ph.D.
Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Olga Cídlová, DiS.
Supplier department: Department of International Relations and European Studies - Faculty of Social Studies
- Mon 12:00–13:40 P24
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! MEB431 Social Science Methodology && ! NOW ( MEB431 Social Science Methodology )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The course introduces students to the range of methods with which social scientists work as they attempt to systematically understand social phenomena. It provides first-hand experience with the specific procedures through which social science knowledge is developed. The course introduces framework of social science research providing the students with knowledge of the necessary questions and dilemmas that need to be tackled during the course of preparation and conducting a research. The course emphasizes general procedures such as discriminating between theories, posing proper research questions, operationalizing concepts, or collecting data.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course, the students will be able to use the basic techniques of quantitative and qualitative research.
- I. Introduction to quantitative analysis II. Introduction to qualitative analysis III. Philosphy of science and its role in research IV. Designing social research
- GERRING, John. Social science methodology : a unified framework. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012. xxv, 495. ISBN 9780521132770. info
- Case study research : principles and practices. Edited by John Gerring. New York: Cambridge University Press, 2007. x, 265. ISBN 9780521676564. info
- KING, Gary, Sidney VERBA and Robert O. KEOHANE. Designing social inquiry : scientific inference in qualitative research. Princeton: Princeton University Press, 1994. xi, 247. ISBN 0691034710. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures, discussions.
- Assessment methods
- Exam, research design project.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.