PřF:C7175 DNA diagnostics - Course Information
C7175 DNA diagnosticsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 4 credit(s). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium).
- prof. RNDr. Omar Šerý, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Mgr. Jan Lochman, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Omar Šerý, Ph.D.
Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
Supplier department: Department of Biochemistry - Chemistry Section - Faculty of Science
- Wed 15:00–16:50 B11/205
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course students should be able to understand and explain practical use of DNA diagnostics in human medicine, veterinary medicine etc.
- 1. Introduction, history of DNA diagnostics, structure and function of DNA, replication, transcription and translation. 2. Cloning of DNA, DNA libraries, DNA sequencing, blotting, DNA databases and searching in DNA databases. 3. Principle of polymerase chain reaction, master mixes, template DNA, primers, buffer, dNTP, DNA polymerases, steps of PCR, thermal cyclers, other methods of DNA amplification. 4. Detection of amplified DNA, agarose gels, polyacrylamide gels, electrophoresis, blotting, immunochromatography, PCR in situ, ELISA methods, restriction analyses. 5. Real Time PCR, principles of RealTime PCR methods, sybrgreen, TaqMan, molecular bacons, detections of single nucleotide polymorphisms, DNA quantification. 6. DNA diagnostics in human medicine: legislative for in vitro diagnostic medical devices, medical law, microbiology, virology, parasitology, practical usage of DNA diagnostics for direct identification of microorganisms. DNA detection of MTB, Borrelia, Chlamydia, HIV, viral hepatitis, herpetic viruses etc. 7. DNA diagnostics in agriculture, detection of Armillaria, usage of PCR in Tobacco research 8. DNA diagnostics in food industry: GMO testing, testing of meat, cheese, European legislative according GMO.
- Teaching methods
- Lectures with PowerPoint presentations and recommended books for self study.
- Assessment methods
- Oral exam
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses