FF:AR2A200 History of Archival Sc. I - Course Information
AR2A200 The History of Archival ScienceFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Stanislav Bárta, Ph.D. (lecturer)
PhDr. Jiřina Štouračová (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Zbyněk Sviták, CSc.
Department of Auxiliary Historical Sciences and Archive Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Olga Barová
Supplier department: Department of Auxiliary Historical Sciences and Archive Studies - Faculty of Arts
- Thu 8:00–9:40 B2.41
- ! AR2A50 The History of Archival Sc.I &&! NOW ( AR2A50 The History of Archival Sc.I )
Knowledge of 19th and 20th century Czech history. Completion of the courses Archival Science 1, 2, 3.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Archival Studies (programme FF, N-AR_) (3)
- Course objectives
- The subject of teaching will be monitoring developments in the archival care of this country’s written treatures, which document its historical, cultural, scientific and spiritual development. There will be an examination of the earliest royal instructions on the archival care of archive materials, their registration and preservation. We will also monitor the development of archival studies as a modern academic discipline which has gradually equipped itself with suitable tools for research purposes. Another area of interest will be the various archival institutions which have been created in this country, their work and major figures from the 18th to the mid-20th century.
- Learning outcomes
- After completing the course, the student will be able to:
- characterize the main landmarks in the development of European archival science from the Middle Ages to the Modern Age;
- outline the main reasons for the establishment of archives in the Czech state;
- analyse archival documents from individual types of archives;
- describe how the most important archives in Bohemia operate;
- name and chronologically order the main actors in the establishment and development of archives in Bohemia;
- assess the benefits of work by archivists for a country’s cultural life;
- write an academic study on a selected archive or figure from archival science, with all the prerequisites for an academic text.
- Bohemian Archive;
- Moravian Archive;
- Silesian Archive;
- Archive of the Ministry of the Interior;
- Prague City Archives;
- Brno City Archive;
- State Central Archive;
- National Archives;
- Czech Archival School;
- Czech Archival Society;
- Journal of the Archival School;
- Reports of the Bohemian Provincial Archive.
- Archivní časopis , Ročenka České archivní společnosti
- ŠTOURAČOVÁ, Jiřina. Archivnictví. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2013. 192 s. ISBN 9788021065147. info
- HOFFMANNOVÁ, Jaroslava and Jana PRAŽÁKOVÁ. Biografický slovník archivářů českých zemí. 1. vyd. Praha: Libri, 2000. 830 s. ISBN 8072770233. info
- Teaching methods
- Lecture 60% Seminar 35% Written test 5%
- Assessment methods
- Homework, oral examination
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2019/AR2A200