FF:LgMA06 Sem in Phonetics and Phonology - Course Information
LgMA06 Seminar in Phonetics and PhonologyFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- PhDr. Aleš Bičan, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- PhDr. Aleš Bičan, Ph.D.
Department of Linguistics and Baltic Languages - Faculty of Arts
Supplier department: Department of Linguistics and Baltic Languages - Faculty of Arts
- Tue 8:00–9:40 J22
- The course is a follow-up to the course of general phonetics (LgBA03) and phonology (LgBA04), hence it is recommended that students attend it after their completion. The knowledge of phonetics and phonology is assumed.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 65 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 5/65, only registered: 0/65, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/65
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The goal of the course is to deepen the general knowledge of phonetics and phonology and to apply it to various analytical problems. Great attention will therefore be given to particular analyses both within the class and in separate tasks assigned to students.
- Learning outcomes
- By passing the course the students will
- gain extended knowledge of phonetics and phonology, their principles and methods
- acquire the knowledge of the sound characteristics of the world's languages
- be able to analyze the sound structure of languages both from the phonetic and phonological perspective
- understand and be able to apply principles of phonological analysis on particular problems
- Phonetics and phonology, differences and common interests
- Phonetic classification of consonants in the world's languages
- Phonetic classification of vowels in the world's languages
- Syllable and suprasegmental phonic means in the world's languages
- Phonological analysis, basic terms and principles
- Neutralization and defective distribution
- Phonotactics, sonority, syllable typology, syllable weight
- Phonological organization of utterances
- Changes of sound segments, sandhi, mutation
- Phonological typology
- DUBĚDA, Tomáš. Jazyky a jejich zvuky : univerzálie a typologie ve fonetice a fonologii. Vyd. 1. Praha: Univerzita Karlova v Praze, nakladatelství Karolinum, 2005. 230 s. ISBN 8024610736. info
- Zsiga, Elizabeth. 2013. The Sounds of Language. Wiley-Blackwell
- SKARNITZL, Radek, Pavel ŠTURM and Jan VOLÍN. Zvuková báze řečové komunikace : fonetický a fonologický popis řeči. První vydání. Praha: Univerzita Karlova v Praze, Nakladatelství Karolinum, 2016. 170 stran. ISBN 9788024632728. info
- ASHBY, Michael and John A. MAIDMENT. Úvod do obecné fonetiky. První české vydání. Praha: Univerzita Karlova v Praze, nakladatelství Karolinum, 2015. 192 stran. ISBN 9788024623221. info
- BIČAN, Aleš. Phonotactics of Czech. Frankfurt am Main: Peter Lang, 2013. 343 pp. Europäische Hochschulschriften / European University Studies / Publications Universitaires Européennes - Volume 81. ISBN 978-3-631-63136-2. info
- Teaching methods
- seminar, discussion, exercises, analysis, reading
- Assessment methods
- active participation, homework, self-study, written test; all homework tasks must be fulfilled and at least 60 % of correct answers in the test is needed
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2019/LgMA06