FI:PB154 Database Systems - Course Information
PB154 Database SystemsFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1. 3 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. Ing. Pavel Zezula, CSc. (lecturer), doc. RNDr. Vlastislav Dohnal, Ph.D. (deputy)
doc. RNDr. Vlastislav Dohnal, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Stanislav Bartoň, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Jan Sedmidubský, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
doc. RNDr. Vlastislav Dohnal, Ph.D. (assistant)
RNDr. Michal Batko, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Václav Matyáš, M.Sc., Ph.D.
Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: prof. Ing. Pavel Zezula, CSc.
- Mon 12:00–13:50 D1
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
PB154/02: each odd Monday 18:00–19:50 B011, S. Bartoň
PB154/03: each even Tuesday 8:00–9:50 B003, V. Dohnal
PB154/04: each odd Tuesday 8:00–9:50 B003, V. Dohnal
PB154/05: each even Tuesday 12:00–13:50 B204, V. Dohnal
PB154/06: each odd Tuesday 12:00–13:50 B204, V. Dohnal
PB154/07: each even Thursday 8:00–9:50 C525, V. Dohnal
PB154/08: each odd Thursday 8:00–9:50 C525, V. Dohnal
PB154/09: each even Wednesday 18:00–19:50 B204, V. Dohnal
PB154/10: each odd Wednesday 18:00–19:50 B204, V. Dohnal
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 27 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The goal of the course is to teach students principles of database systems and design methods for developing database applications. In exercises, the students will solve practical examples.
- Introduction, terminology
- Entity-relationship model
- Relational model
- Query language SQL
- Integrity constraints
- Relational database design
- Storage and file structures
- Indexing and hashing
- Query processing
- Transaction management
- New trends in database systems
- SILBERSCHATZ, Abraham, Henry F. KORTH and S. SUDARSHAN. Database system concepts. 5th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill, 2006. xxvi, 1142. ISBN 0072958863. info
- Assessment methods
- Lectures and seminars. Seminars are completed with a written test and lectures with a final written exam. Any reading materials are not allowed during examinations. Presence in seminars is not mandatory. Lectures are given weekly and siminar in fortnight cycle. There are five seminars usually.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information