FI:PV237 Strategy and Leadership - Course Information
PV237 Strategy and LeadershipFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/2. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Ing. Michala Kozinová (lecturer), Mgr. Jitka Kitner (deputy)
- doc. RNDr. Eva Hladká, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
Supplier department: Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
- Mon 10:00–11:50 A217
- No pre-requisities are compulsory.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 25 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 26/25, only registered: 8/25, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 1/25
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Service Science, Management and Engineering (eng.) (programme FI, N-AP)
- Course objectives
- - Equip student with thoughts and concepts they can build on to become world-class leaders and people managers. - Have students get close to the real-life experience in strategic decision making in a tough competitive environment via GLo-bus strategic simulation game. The students will be hired as co-managers at year 5 of a successful global company to meet a set of goals in year 11: Grow earnings per share, grow return on equity, achieve stock price gains, and maintain healthy credit and image rating. The students will thus familiarize themselves with strategic planning in the global company mastering marketing and financial cause-effect relations. - Prepare students for the challenges related to change management. - Make sure graduates can easily participate in strategic discussions by knowing the most common concepts and tools. - Forewarn is forearmed - create general awareness of decision making bias.
- PV237 Strategy and Leadership The course consists of 3 major blocks - Strategy, Leadership, and, since Leadership is the ability to get followed through the change, Change Management. The course delivers only as much theory as the graduates are likely to meet and need in the business world and students are encouraged to figure the theoretical concepts themselves wherever possible. The course will be delivered via lectures, workshops, brainstorming sessions and class discussion. In 2017, we will pilot global Strategic simulation game Glo-bus, where about 30 hours of students' time will be required outside of the class.
- recommended literature
- Henry Mintzberg (1987), Crafting Strategy. In Harvard Business Review, July-Aug (article)
- Gary Hamel (1996), Strategy as revolution. In Harvard Business Review, July-August (article)
- Gary Hamel and C.K. Prahalad (1989), Strategic Intent. In Harvard Business Review, May-June (article)
- Richard P. Rumelt (2011), The perils of bad strategy. In Mckinsey Quarterly, June (article)
- Cynthia A. Montgomery, “The Strategist: Be the Leader your Business Needs”. Harvard Business School, 2012
- Teaching methods
- workshops, discussions, coaching, strategic business simulation
- Assessment methods
- - There will be ten in-class workshops in 2017 - students are expected to email the instructor their key take away they intend to use in real life, so 10 emails are mandatory, one after each class, within 24 hours. - There will be strategic simulation game - amazing learning experience, a one-off opportunity to try to manage big global company and see the cause and effect of decisions that concern marketing, operations, R&D, social responsibility, salaries, advertisement, etc. Expected outside of classroom commitment is 30 - 40 hours. Students can opt-out at the beginning of the term but once registered, they have to complete all related assignments (2 quizzes, 2 practice rounds and 6 decision rounds + final presentation) on time. - Student that opt-out will get reduced assignments but also reduced learning experience.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fi/spring2019/PV237