FSS:SOC570 Social gerontology: Concepts a - Course Information
SOC570 Social gerontology: Concepts and controversiesFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 10 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Lucie Vidovićová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. et Mgr. Marcela Petrová Kafková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Lucie Galčanová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. Ing. Robert Jahoda, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. MUDr. Hana Matějovská Kubešová, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Pavel Kellner (seminar tutor)
Bc. Monika Salamánková (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Lucie Vidovićová, Ph.D.
Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Soňa Enenkelová
Supplier department: Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
- each odd Monday 14:00–17:40 P21
- There are no prerequisites.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 6/20, only registered: 0/20, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/20
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- Sociology (programme FSS, N-SO)
- Course objectives
- The course acquaints students with advanced concepts and controversies in the field of social gerontology. It is built as an overview of key topics which are in last decades high on research agenda in both Czech Republic and abroad.
- Learning outcomes
- Students after finishing the course will be able to formulate their positions and engage in critical thinking on various social features from the point of view of ageing studies. They will be able to state main definitions and criticism on social theories of ageing. They will be able to individually build a critical case and to reflect various social phenomenon and summarise it in the form of structured scientific journal article.
- Ageing and gerontosociology: next big thing?
- Ageing body.
- Longevity in people and societies: is age just a number?
- Sexuality and social networks.
- Key concepts of cultural gerontology.
- Ageing, place, and space.
- Social theories of ageing.
- Fourth age.
- Economy of ageing and pension systems.
- Cognition in later life.
- required literature
- Tine Buffel & Chris Phillipson (2018) A Manifesto for the Age-Friendly Movement: Developing a New Urban Agenda, Journal of Aging & Social Policy, 30:2, 173-192, DOI: 10.1080/08959420.2018.1430414
- Buffel, T. 2018. Social research and co-roduction with older people: Developing age-friendly communities. Journal of Aging Studies, 44, 52-60.
- VIDOVICOVÁ, Lucie, Lucie GALČANOVÁ, Marcela PETROVÁ KAFKOVÁ and Dana SÝKOROVÁ. Stáří ve městě, město v životě seniorů (Ageing in the City, City in the Life of Seniors). 1. vyd. Praha, Brno: Sociologické nakladatelství, Masarykova univerzita, 2013. 372 pp. Studie. ISBN 978-80-7419-141-1. URL info
- recommended literature
- The Sage handbook of social gerontology. Edited by Dale Dannefer - Chris Phillipson. Los Angeles: Sage Publications, 2010. xxiv, 685. ISBN 9781446270479. info
- Ageing in society : an introduction to social gerontology. Edited by John Bond - Peter T. Coleman - Sheila M. Peace. 2nd ed. London: Sage Publications, 1996. xiv, 401. ISBN 0803989474. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, class discussion, presentations of guest speakers, seminar projects, reading
- Assessment methods
- 5 seminar projects (each 10 points), paper on selected topic (40 points) and its presentation for the group, peer review (10 points). Students need 61 points to pass the exam.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/autumn2019/SOC570