FSS:SOCb3003 Men, Masculinities, Gender - Course Information
SOCb3003 Men, Masculinities, GenderFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 6 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. PhDr. Iva Šmídová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Iva Šmídová, Ph.D.
Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Soňa Enenkelová
Supplier department: Department of Sociology - Faculty of Social Studies
- Tue 14:00–15:40 U34
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! NOW ( GEN121 Men, Masculinities, Gender ) && ! GEN121 Men, Masculinities, Gender
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 17/30, only registered: 0/30, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/30
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 10 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main theme of the course is studies on men and masculinities from a critical perspective within the discipline of sociology and gener studies. The course tackles problems tham men and cultural forms of masculinities cause as well as those that they are objects of. The course is a basic introductory platform for internationally well established debate (using mostly anglo-saxon resources) on gendere relations in relation to men and masculinities. The course is organized in semminars; discussion are based on problems men and normative and alternative definitions of masculinities both face and cause.;
- Learning outcomes
- Learning outcomes: students will learn to apply theoretical concepts to empirical praxis in the field of studies on men and masculinities, they will learn to interpret and compare the machanisms of reproduction of the gender order. They will improve their writing skills and practice review of colleagues semminar filedwork reports.
- Men, masculinities, gender The myth of masculinity Masculine social identity, social order and power relations the making of masculinities Sexuality and the body Education and masculinity Violence Men: a private business and change
- The men and the boys. Edited by R.W Connell. Cambridge: Polity, 2000. ix, 259. ISBN 0745626335.
- Handbook of studies on men & masculinities. Edited by R.W Connell - Michael S. Kimmel - Jeff Hearn. Thousand Oaks, Calif.: Sage Publications, 2005. 505 p. ISBN 0761923691.
- Masculinities. Edited by R.W Connell. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Polity Press, 2005. xxv, 324. ISBN 0745634273.
- Men's lives. Edited by Michael S. Kimmel - Michael A. Messner. 7th ed. Boston, MA: Pearson Allyn and Bacon, 2007. xxiii, 644. ISBN 0205485456.
- KIMMEL, Michael S. Misframing men : the politics of contemporary masculinities. New Brunswick: Rutgers University Press, 2010. xi, 242. ISBN 9780813547626. info
- KIMMEL, Michael S. Guyland : the perilous world where boys become men. 1st ed. New York: Harper, 2008. xviii, 332. ISBN 9780060831349. info
- MAC AN GHAILL, Mairtin and Chris HAYWOOD. Gender, culture, and society : contemporary femininities and masculinities. New York :.: Palgrave Macmillan, 2007. xi, 297. ISBN 0333987845. info
- HAYWOOD, Chris and Mairtin MAC AN GHAILL. Men and masculinities : theory, research, and social practice. Phildelphia, PA: Open University, 2003. x, 190. ISBN 0335208916. info
- KIMMEL, Michael S. The gendered society. New York: Oxford University Press, 2000. xii, 315. ISBN 0195125886. info
- Teaching methods
- targeted semminar groups dicussions with feedback, presentations and their review, detailed fieldwork reports with open review process on particular topics
- Assessment methods
- class discussion, group projects, presentations, fieldworks, reading
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught once in two years.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fss/spring2020/SOCb3003