FSS:ZUR295 Press relation officer - Course Information
ZUR295 Press relation officerFaculty of Social Studies
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- PhDr. Jiří Klement (lecturer)
Mgr. Tereza Fojtová (seminar tutor)
Jáchym Michal (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. PhDr. Jiří Pavelka, CSc.
Department of Media Studies and Journalism - Faculty of Social Studies
Contact Person: Ing. Bc. Pavlína Brabcová
Supplier department: Department of Media Studies and Journalism - Faculty of Social Studies
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- ZUR295/CZV: Tue 17:00–18:30 U44, T. Fojtová
ZUR295/ZUR: Mon 11:30–13:00 AVC, J. Klement
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 50 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/50, only registered: 0/50, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/50
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 15 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The course provides basic practical information about the content of a press spokesperson's job. At the end of the semester, students will be able to explain the work of a press spokesperson, its role and position within an institution; to analyze his or her profile; to describe the functions of a press department; or to understand the legal aspects of a press spokesperson's work. On successful completion of the course, students will be able to utilize acquired knowledge in practice.
- Topics to be dealt with the course: spokesperson's profile (qualifications, skills, and job content); press release and press statement (theory, examples, and writing); press conference and briefing (theory, practising the preparation and chairing and the difference between both terms); participation in a press conference (e.g. of political parties, city of Brno and South Moravia region, private company, non-profit organisation, etc.); inviting journalists to participate in an institution's event (examples and writing); relations and communication with journalists and editorial boards (establishing, renewing, maintaining and developing contacts, and updating databases); technical conditions of preparing press materials and communication, ,photographic documentation of an institution's event, and sending out releases; functions of press departments or centres (permanent versus temporary, establishing the background for journalists at institutional events), and excursion in the press department of the South Moravia Region; the position of a press spokesperson within an institution (roles, relations with the organisation's management, position, and competencies); press spokesperson and correspondent of the given institution; press spokesperson and web institutions; composing PR articles, creating the publicity of an institution and its representatives; role of a press spokesperson in case of a crisis or emergency (accident, evacuation, floods, etc.).
- Pospíšil, P. 2002. Efektivní Public Relations a media relations. Praha: Computer Press.
- Věrčák, V. 2004. Media relations není manipulace, Praha: Ekopress.
- Caywood, Clarke, L. 2003. Public relations: řízená komunikace podniků s veřejností. Brno: Computer Press.
- Svoboda, V. 2006. Public relations: moderně a účinně. Praha: Grada Publishing.
- Bajčan, R. 2003. Techniky public relations, aneb Jak pracovat s médii. Praha: Management Press.
- Foret, M. 1994. Komunikace s veřejností. Brno: Masarykova univerzita.
- ŠPAČEK, Ladislav. Velká kniha etikety. Illustrated by Jan Eckert. Vyd. 1. Praha: Mladá fronta, 2005. 164 s. ISBN 8020413332. info
- Teaching methods
- The course is taught as a combination of lectures (theoretical background) and seminars (practical exercises); the course involves a field trip to the press department of the South Moravian Regional authority.
- Assessment methods
- The course is completed by credit. Active participation of students and regular attendance will significantly help to complete the course successfully.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Information on course enrolment limitations: Přednostní právo zápisu mají studenti oborové specializace "žurnalistika", a to i v případě, že se přihlásí později než studenti jiných specializací a oborů.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses