PdF:JVp013 English for Teachers - C - Course Information
JVp013 English for Teachers - CFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Dita Trčková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Gabriela Hublová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Jana Kollárová (assistant)
Daniel Gerrard, M.A. (lecturer)
Bc. Miryana Georgieva Slavíková (lecturer)
Mgr. Dita Hochmanová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Kateřina Špácová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Radim Herout (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Dita Trčková, Ph.D.
Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jitka Autratová
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Education Division - Faculty Branches of University Departments - Faculty of Education
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- JVp013/T01: Tue 15. 10. to Sun 22. 12. Tue 9:00–10:40 KOM 118, K. Špácová, Nepřihlašuje se. Určeno pro studenty se zdravotním postižením.
JVp013/01: Tue 14:00–15:50 učebna 58, D. Gerrard
JVp013/02: Tue 12:00–13:50 učebna 53, M. Slavíková
JVp013/03: Mon 12:00–13:50 učebna 6, M. Slavíková
JVp013/04: Mon 14:00–15:50 učebna 11, D. Gerrard
JVp013/06: Tue 12:00–13:50 učebna 11, D. Trčková
JVp013/07: Tue 14:00–15:50 učebna 53, D. Hochmanová
JVp013/08: Tue 10:00–11:50 učebna 63, D. Hochmanová
- B1 level knowledge of English is required. The pre-intermediate student (B1) understands the main points of clear standard input on familiar matters. Can enter unprepared into conversation about familiar topics and connect ideas in a simple way. Can provide information, take messages, give simple instructions and deal with less routine problems, e.g. complaints. Can describe events, experiences, hopes and ambitions; give reasons, explanations of plans and opinions.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 64 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Students will develop all receptive (reading, listening) and productive (speaking, writing) language skills together with their grammar and vocabulary awareness within B2 level, by means of academic topics related to the sphere of education. Course objectives: 1) acquiring specialist vocabulary related to education; 2) B2 level grammar practice; 3) enhancing all language skills; 4) practising academic writing and presentation skills.
- Learning outcomes
- By the end of the course, the student will be able to: - understand spoken LSP texts at B2 level of the CEFR; - understand written LSP texts at B2 level of the CEFR; - produce an argumentative essay; - successfully participate in a spoken interaction dealing with relevant LSP issues at B2 level of the CEFR; - give an oral presentation on a specialist topic; - use selected specialist terminology with natural and sophisticated control; - show a good command of selected grammar structures at B2 level of the CEFR.
- Course introduction + get-to know activities; UNIT 1 VOCABULARY RELATED TO EDUCATION, SCHOOL AND TEACHING; ACADEMIC DISCIPLINES; UNIT 2 TRANSITIONAL EXPRESSIONS; ACADEMIC WRITING; UNIT 3 VOCABULARY RELATED TO EDUCATION, SCHOOL AND TEACHING II; GLOBAL ACADEMIC CULTURE; UNIT 4 CONFUSING VOCABULARY RELATED TO EDUCATION; WHAT TEACHERS AND STUDENTS DO; THE IDEAL TEACHER; UNIT 5 GIVING OPINIONS, AGREEING, DISAGREEING; TEACHERS AND TEACHING; WHAT MAKES A SUCCESSFUL LESSON? UNIT 6 INEXPERIENCED TEACHERS IN DOUBTS VARIOUS ASPECTS OF TEACHING PROFESSION; Grammar: SELF-STUDY (KEY IN THE IS): Present simple X continuous; Past simple X continuous; Future in English IN-CLASS: Present perfect tenses; Sentence transformations I; Passive forms; Modals I; Introduction to word formation, abstract vocabulary; Modals II – Degrees of certainty; Sentence transformations II; Verbs + -ing/infinitive.
- required literature
- In-class materials designed for teaching LSP.
- recommended literature
- GILL, Nora, Jiří VACEK, Ruth COUFALOVÁ, Olga INGROVÁ and Jana KOLLÁROVÁ. Communicative ESP Practice for Pre-Service Teachers. 1. vyd. Olomouc: Palacký University, Olomouc, Czech Republic, 2003. 109 pp. English Texts. ISBN 80-244-0652-7. info
- HASHEMI, Louise and Barbara THOMAS. Cambridge grammar for first certificate : with answers. 1st ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2003. xii, 260. ISBN 0521533368. info
- PRODROMOU, Luke. Grammar and vocabulary for first certificate : with key. Essex: Longman, 1999. 319 s. ISBN 9780582400184. info
- REDMAN, Stuart and Ruth GAIRNS. Test your English vocabulary in use : pre-intermediate & intermediate. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2000. 142 s. ISBN 0521779804. info
- SEAL, Bernard. Academic encounters : reading, study skills, and writing : content focus, human behavior. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1997. xx, 220. ISBN 0521476585. info
- HASHEMI, Louise and Raymond MURPHY. English grammar in use supplementary exercises : with answers. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004. vi, 136. ISBN 0521755484. info
- MURPHY, Raymond. English grammar in use : a self-study reference and practice book for intermediate learners of English : with answers. Fourth edition. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012. x, 380. ISBN 9780521189064. info
- MURPHY, Raymond, Brigit VINEY and Miles CRAVEN. English grammar in use : a self-study reference and practice book for intermediate learners of English : with answers [and CD-ROM]. 4th ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2012. x, 380. ISBN 9780521189392. info
- Teaching methods
- Weekly ninety-minute seminars designed for teaching English for specific and academic purposes (activities developing students' awareness of language skills and systems within B2 level - listening and reading tasks; grammar and vocabulary practice, discussions and other speaking activities etc.).
- Assessment methods
- Course requirements: 1) Attendance (only 2 seminars can be missed due to personal reasons); 2) Active participation in classes + homework; 3) In-term assignment - writing an argumentative essay (10 marks); 4) Oral presentation (10 marks); 5) Credit test (20 marks); Assessment: 10 marks - Argumentative essay; 10 marks – Oral presentation; 20 marks – Credit test; Total: 40 marks; PASS MARK = 26 points (65%). For information on course recognition see http://www.ped.muni.cz/katedry-a-instituty/cjv/uznavani-predmetu/
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
General note: Kurz úrovně B2 navazuje na kurzy B1 z bakalářského studia.
Information on course enrolment limitations: Level B2 English course for students with entrance knowledge at B1 level of the CEFR.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/ped/autumn2019/JVp013