PdF:A2MK_ACWR Academic Writing - Course Information
A2MK_ACWR Academic WritingFaculty of Education
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/12. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Radek Vogel, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Naděžda Vojtková
Department of English Language and Literature - Faculty of Education
Contact Person: Jana Popelková
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Lower Secondary School and Language School Teacher Training in English Language (programme PdF, N-ZS)
- Course objectives
- The main objectives of the course Academic Writing are to familiarise students with the methodology of science; to introduce them to the formal written style and its genres; to enhance their ability to use English appropriately in writing for academic purposes; and to expand and practise the vocabulary and grammar of Academic English.
- 1. Introduction. Writing an academic essay - instructions and recommendations.
- 2. Methodology of science. Written vs. spoken medium. Formal vs. informal styles.
- 3. Genres of academic and scientific writing. Scientific prose style vs. popular scientific / didactic style. Linguistic appropriateness.
- 4. Cohesion and coherence. Lexical and grammatical cohesion. Connectors.
- 5. Punctuation in English.
- 6. Vocabulary of academic texts. Abbreviation.
- 7. Syntax of academic texts. Word order.
- 8. Quotations and paraphrases. Endnotes and footnotes. Bibliography/references.
- URBANOVÁ, Ludmila and Andrew Philip OAKLAND. Úvod do anglické stylistiky (Introduction to English Stylistics). 1st ed. Brno: Barrister & Principal, 2002. 148 pp. Studium. ISBN 80-86598-33-0. info
- MACPHERSON, Robin. Základy anglické stylistiky. Praha: Academia, 1997. 240 pp. ISBN 80-200-0644-3. info
- CRYSTAL, David. The Cambridge encyclopedia of the English language. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1995. vii, 489. ISBN 0521401798. info
- ČERMÁK, František. Jazyk a jazykověda : přehled a slovníky. Vyd. 3., dopl. V Praze: Univerzita Karlova v Praze, nakladatelství Karolinum, 2001. 341 s. ISBN 8024601540. info
- Assessment methods
- Completion prerequisites:
- attendance - minimum 80%;
- active participation in seminars;
- seminar essay - a piece of academic text, due on January 5, 2009.
- explanation, practice and discussion in class;
- home study and written assignment.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
Information on the extent and intensity of the course: 12 hodin.