FF:AJ02004 English Grammar II - Course Information
AJ02004 English Grammar IIFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/1/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- Mgr. Sarah Dobiášová (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jana Pelclová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Vladimir Srebnitskiy (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Maria Šimková (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Jana Chamonikolasová, Ph.D.
Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Tomáš Hanzálek
Supplier department: Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
- AJ02003 English Grammar I
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 9 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The objective of the seminar is to discuss morphology and syntax systematically, but with emphasis on practical use of English word and sentence structure. The study material recommended for the seminar will be L. G. Alexander's Longman English Grammar (1988). Students will be able to understand the nuances of English grammar and will be able to apply their skills in practice. As a result, they will increase their proficiency in English.
- The second term of the course covers the following thematic areas:
- 8. Prepositions, adverb particles adn phrasal verbs
- 9. Verbs, verb tenses, imperatives
- 10. Be, have, do
- 11. Modal auxiliaries and related verbs
- 12. The passive and the causative
- 13. Questions, answers, negatives
- 14. Conditional sentences
- 15. Direct and indirect speech
- 16. The infinitive and the -ing form
- recommended literature
- ALEXANDER, L. G. Longman English grammar. Edited by R. A. Close. London: Longman, 1988. x, 374. ISBN 0582558921. info
- ALEXANDER, L. G. Longman English grammar practice. Harlow: Longman, 1990. 250 s. ISBN 0-582-04588-6. info
- not specified
- MARTINET, A. V. and A. J. THOMSON. A Practical English Grammar. Exercises 1. 3. vyd. Oxford: University Press, 1990. 181 s. info
- MARTINET, A. V. and A. J. THOMSON. A Practical English Grammar. Exercises 2. 3. vyd. Oxford: University Press, 1990. 199 s. info
- MARTINET, A. V. and A. J. THOMSON. Structure Drils. A Practical English Grammar. Sv. 1. Oxford: University Press, 1989. 122 s. info
- MARTINET, A. V. and A. J. THOMSON. Structure Drils. A Practical English Grammar. Sv. 2. Oxford: University Press, 1989. 116 s. info
- DUŠKOVÁ, Libuše. Mluvnice současné angličtiny : na pozadí češtiny [Dušková, 1988, 1. vyd.]. 1. vyd. Praha: Academia, 1988. 673 p. ; 2. info
- THOMSON, A. J. and A. V. MARTINET. A practical english grammar [Thomson, 1970]. 3-nd ed. London: Oxford University Press, 1970. 275 s. info
- Teaching methods
- Practical seminars. Students are expected to do the assigned readings and exercises in advance. Problematic issues will be discussed in class.
- Assessment methods
- Instruction: seminar; active participation is necessary - discussion of issues based on independent reading Assessment: the pass score is 280 points based on one mid-term test (max. 100 points) + end term test (max. 100 points) + combined results from AJ02003 (max. 200 points).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/spring2020/AJ02004