FF:PLIN059 Proseminar on the Comp. Lingv. - Course Information
PLIN059 Proseminar on the Computational LinguisticsFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 4 credit(s). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: z (credit).
Taught in person.
- Mgr. Dana Hlaváčková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Dana Hlaváčková, Ph.D.
Department of Czech Language - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jaroslava Vybíralová
Supplier department: Department of Czech Language - Faculty of Arts
- Tue 10:00–11:40 G13
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- ! CJBB85 Ling. Software && ! NOWANY ( CJBB85 Ling. Software )
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 20 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 18/20, only registered: 0/20
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Computational Linguistics (programme FF, B-PLIN_) (3)
- Course objectives
- This course acquaints the students with the world of computational linguistics, with the definition of the field and its relation to other sciences, with its sub-fiels, and with processing of various levels of language description. The course covers both theoretical background and its application in (mostly Czech) computational linguistics: The clases always consist of explaining the theory and practical tasks using natural language processing (NLP) tools. The course focuses on students' insight in individual parts of Czech language processing, ability to use the NLP tools, and knowledge of basic terminology of the field. At the end of the semester, students will be assigned a practical task. The course ends with an exam in the form of written test.
- Learning outcomes
- Upon completion of the course the student is able to:
- orientate in different areas of computational linguistics,
- explain the nature of the field and its relation to other disciplines,
- know the tools that are used for Czech language processing, and to use them,
- know and use the basic terminology of computational linguistics.
- 1. Introduction to the field, overview of computational linguistics in the Czech Republic.
- 2. Audio signal processing - speech recognition and synthesis.
- 3. Basics of computer lexicography (online dictionaries, web interfaces).
- 4. Basic information about corpus linguistics (Czech corpora and corpus managers).
- 5. Morphological analysis of Czech (analyzers, part-of-peech tagging).
- 6. Word-formation analysis of Czech (derivational interface and visualization).
- 7. Practical exercises (work with corpus tools).
- 8. Syntactic analysis of Czech (parsers, dependency treebanks).
- 9. Semantic analysis of Czech (Czech WordNet, other languages projects).
- 10. Valency dictionaries and databases (Vallex, VerbaLex).
- 11. Practical task assignment.
- 12. Summary of essential outputs of the course, of basic terminology.
- Studie z korpusové lingvistiky. Edited by František Čermák - Jana Klímová - Vladimír Petkevič. Vyd. 1. V Praze: Karolinum, 2000. 531 s. ISBN 807184893X. info
- HORÁK, Aleš, Karel PALA, Adam RAMBOUSEK and Albena RANGELOVA. Nové nástroje pro českou lexikografii - DEB2 (New Tools for Czech Lexicography - DEBII Platform). In Sborník konference Grammar & Corpora 2005. 2006th ed. Praha: Ústav pro jazyk český Akademie věd ČR, 2006. p. 190-196. ISBN 80-86496-32-5. info
- PALA, Karel and Pavel ŠEVEČEK. Česká lexikální databáze typu WordNet (v rámci projektu EuroWordNet-2) (Czech Lexical Database of the WordNet Type (within EuroWordNet-2)). Sborník prací filosofické fakulty brněnské university. Brno: MU Brno, 1999, vol. 1999, A 47, p. 51-64. ISSN 0231-7567. info
- Teaching methods
- Theoretical preparation, practical exercises on the computer.
- Assessment methods
- Active participation in the seminar, successful completion of the assigned task, exam - final written test (on the knowledge of essential outputs of the course and basic terminology).
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2021/PLIN059