FF:RLB517 Academic Style - Course Information
RLB517 Writing Academic Style in HumanitiesFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: k (colloquium).
- Mgr. Lucie Novotná, M.A. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Jana Valtrová, Ph.D.
Department for the Study of Religions - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Mgr. Šárka Londa Vondráčková
Supplier department: Department for the Study of Religions - Faculty of Arts
- Fri 23. 2. 14:10–15:45 J22, Fri 23. 3. 14:10–15:45 J22, Fri 20. 4. 14:10–15:45 J22
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 50 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 2/50, only registered: 0/50, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/50
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to provide the students with sufficient tools to design their own research. The course focuses on practical training of the following competences: search for quality resources, understanding of a scholarly text and rules of its further use, formulation of a quality scholarly text, that follow the rules of scientific work.
- Learning outcomes
- After compelting the course the students will be able to:
- Search for up-to-date resources
- Understand an academic text
- Summarize an academic text
- Analyse an academic text:
- Design a research
- Determine and formulate own opinion
- Follow the formal rules of writting, quoting the sources and their correct use
- Search for up-to-date resources
- 1. Introduction, serach for resources
- 2. Quotations I
- 3. Quotations II, an analysis of an argument I
- 4. An analysis of an argument II
- 5. Writing a paragraph I - structure of the paragraph, unity and coherence
- 6. Writing a paragraph II - structure of the paragraph, unity and coherence
- 7. Writing a paragraph III - structure of the paragraph, unity and coherence; quoting, references
- 8. Writing a paragraph IV - structure of the paragraph, unity and coherence; quoting, references
- 9. Design and formalities of a research proposal I
- 10. Design and formalities of a research proposal II
- 11. Writing essays - basics principles; questions and corrections
- KRATOCHVÍL, Jiří. Pravidla psaní odborného článku. 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2011. Elportál. ISBN 978-80-210-5922-1. URL info
- ŠANDEROVÁ, Jadwiga and Alena MILTOVÁ. Jak číst a psát odborný text ve společenských vědách : několik zásad pro začátečníky. Vydání první. Praha: Sociologické nakladatelství, 2005. 209 stran. ISBN 9788086429403. info
- OSHIMA, Alice and Ann HOGUE. Writing academic English. 4th ed. White Plains, NY: Pearson/Longman, 2006. xi, 337. ISBN 0131523597. info
- MLA handbook for writers of research papers. Edited by David G. Nicholls. Seventh edition. New York: Modern Language Association of America, 2009. xxi, 292. ISBN 9781603290258. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, training, readings, homeworks
- Assessment methods
- short excersices (20%), stylistic works (30%), final essay (50% of overall assesment in the course).
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught once in two years.
General note: Doporučen souběžný zápis s RLA13, RLKA13.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses