FF:UZAJ5045 Syllabus, Lesson and Course - Course Information
UZAJ5045 Syllabus, Lesson and Course DesignFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2/0. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. Mgr. František Tůma, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Jana Chamonikolasová, Ph.D.
Department of English and American Studies - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Tomáš Hanzálek
Supplier department: Institute for Research in School Education - Faculty of Education
- each even Friday 13:00–14:40 G31
- UZAJ5032 Language Acquisition
UZAJ2033 ELT Methodology I
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 12 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 11/12, only registered: 0/12
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Upper Secondary School Teacher Training in English Language and Literature (programme FF, N-SS)
- Course objectives
- The aim of this course is to guide the participants through the practical and theoretical considerations in syllabus, lesson and course design. Selected concepts, principles and theories underlying the process of foreign language teaching will be introduced while paying special attention to the processes of developing materials and planning in English language teaching. At the end of the course the participants will have designed a lesson plan, analyzed and evaluated a textbook and a school educational programme, developed a set of activities with an authentic material and designed a foreign language course. These practical activities will be discussed in relation to underlying theory so that the participants have an insight into both practical and theoretical aspects of foreign language teaching as well as a conceptual overview of related processes, which will allow them to start their Internal Teaching Practice in the following semester.
- An introduction. A review and consolidation of relevant concepts and theories. An introduction to planning. Planning specific content. Selected issues in language planning and policy. Syllabus design. Foreign language education in Europe and in the Czech Republic Materials for foreign language teaching. Working with published and authentic materials. Textbook selection, evaluation, adaptation. Course design. Situation analysis, learner needs analysis, determining goals and content, organizing content, designing assessment plan. Summary, discussion and extension.
- Teaching English as a second or foreign language. Edited by Marianne Celce-Murcia - Donna Brinton - Marguerite Ann Snow. Fourth edition. Boston: Heinle Cengage Learning, 2014. xi, 706. ISBN 9781111351694. info
- BROWN, H. Douglas. Teaching by principles : an interactive approach to language pedagogy. 3rd ed. White Plains: Pearson Education, 2007. xvii, 569. ISBN 9780136127116. info
- CHODĚRA, Radomír. Didaktika cizích jazyků : úvod do vědního oboru. Vyd. 1. Praha: Academia, 2006. 209 s. ISBN 8020012133. info
- NUNAN, David. Task-based language teaching. 1st pub. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2004. xv, 222. ISBN 0521549477. info
- Methodology in language teaching : an anthology of current practice. Edited by Jack C. Richards - Willy A. Renandya. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2002. vii, 422. ISBN 0521004403. info
- Approaches and methods in language teaching. Edited by Jack C. Richards - Theodore S. Rodgers. 2nd ed. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 2001. ix, 270. ISBN 9780521008433. info
- Teaching English as a second or foreign language. Edited by Marianne Celce-Murcia. 3rd ed. Boston: Heinle & Heinle, 2001. viii, 584. ISBN 0838419925. info
- GRAVES, Kathleen. Designing language courses: a guide for teachers. Boston: Heinle & Heinle, 2000. xi, 308. ISBN 9780838479094. info
- HENDRICH, Josef. Didaktika cizích jazyků. Praha: Státní pedagogické nakladatelství, 1988. info
- NUNAN, David. Syllabus design. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1988. x, 169 s. ISBN 0-19-437139-5. info
- GRANT, Neville. Making the most of your textbook. London: Longman, 1987. 128 s. ISBN 0582746248. info
- STERN, H. H. Fundamental concepts of language teaching. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1983. 582 s. ISBN 0194370658. info
- Teaching methods
- Seminars using presentations, discussions, group-work, micro-teaching performances. An online component of the course includes reading tasks, assignments, additional resources and discussions.
- Assessment methods
- The course includes assignments to be submitted and a final test. Active participation in in-class sessions is also required.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/spring2020/UZAJ5045