The course introduces digital games and its bussines as an moderne phenomena with important impact at contemporary culture and world economy. The coours aimst to teach students to thing about digital games, its industry and gamers in broader perspecitve and learn them to prototype interactive applications.
The students are confronted with design methods as well as with analysis methods during the course. During three practical workshop the attention is set at game development from game mechanics to business plan, while twelve theoretical lectures focuses at complex overview at games, its audition, and teaching potential.
18. 9. introduction, Game principle I (game mechanics, dynamics and aesthetics. MDA, LeBlanc a spol. (2004).
25. 9. Game principle II (procedural rhetoric, rules vs. reality. Persuasive games, Bogost (2007), Half-Real, Juul (2005)
2. 10. WORKSHOP: Design of an prototype
9. 10. Game principle III (cybertext, emergentn gameplay, narativ Cybertext, Aarseth (1997)
16. 10. educative games and serious games (What video games have to teach us about learning and literacy, Gee (2003). Výukový software a počítačové hry – nástroje moderního vzdělávání, Dostál (2009)
MCALLISTER, Graham. The difference between focus testing and player testing. Edge [online]. 2012. Dostupné z: http://www.edge-online.com/features/the-difference-between-focus-testing-and-player-testing
BOGOST, Ian. Persuasive games : the expressive power of videogames. 1st MIT Press pbk. ed. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2010. xii, 450. ISBN 9780262026147. info
MÄYRÄ, Frans. An introduction to game studies : games in culture. first published. Los Angeles: SAGE, 2008. ix, 196. ISBN 9781412934466. info
JENKINS, Henry. Convergence culture : where old and new media collide. 1st published in paperback. London: New York University Press, 2008. xi, 353. ISBN 9780814742952. info
SCHELL, Jesse. The Art of Game Design: A book of lenses. 2008. ISBN 0-12-369496-5. info
KERR, Aphra. The business and culture of digital games : gamework/gameplay. first published. London: SAGE Publications, 2006. x, 177. ISBN 1412900476. info
JUUL, Jesper. Half-real : video games between real rules and fictional worlds. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press, 2005. ix, 233. ISBN 0262101106. info
lectures, workshops, readings
3x workshop assignment (mandatory to pass)
written final test (40% of rating)
final project (60% of rating)