FF:PSBA001 Biology - Course Information
PSBA001 BiologyFaculty of Arts
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
Taught in person.
- MUDr. Bc. Eva Závodná, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- MUDr. Bc. Eva Závodná, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
Contact Person: Jarmila Valchářová
Supplier department: Department of Psychology - Faculty of Arts
- each even Friday 10:00–13:40 N41
- The student has a theoretical basis obtained in the high school study level of biology, chemistry and physics. The student understands basic biophysical, chemical and biochemical laws. The student is able to connect the acquired knowledge in other parallel disciplines such as neurosciences and psychophysiology.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Psychology (programme FF, B-PSYCH_) (2)
- Course objectives
- At the end of the course, students should be able to describe a structure and a function of human body functions in detail - from a cell level, across particular organs to a complex human organism. Students are able to explain basic organs regulation. Students will define basic Czech and Latin medical terms.
- Learning outcomes
- The student knows and can describe basic physiological processes at the cellular level such as osmosis, diffusion and substance movement through semipermeable membranes. At the same time, in terms of the necessary knowledge, he has the basics of exciting tissue theory essential to understanding the functions of important organs and organ systems. Within the block the student is able to explain and understand the functions of the organ systems necessary for vital functions such as cardio-vascular, urogenital and respiratory system, as well as knowledge of the function and role of the digestive tract and subsequent basic metabolic functions of the organism including liver physiology and thermoregulation. The student will be able to understand and explain the integrated functions of the organims, of the endocrine system, immune system and of the autonomous nervous system.
- Life and living systems. Origin of life and cell. Cell. Reproduction of organisms.
- Molecular genetics. Cell genetics. Genetics of populations. Genetics of man. Hereditarily of diseases.
- Principles of evolution. Evolution of man. Man ontogenesis.
- Structural and functional organization of the body. Metabolism. Internal environment (homeostasis). Cellular contacts and signaling. Electric transfer of information. Nervous and muscular activity. Skeletal, smooth and heart muscle.
- Physiology of the heart. Conduction system. Electrocardiography. Cardiac mechanics. Heart cycle. Regulation of blood circulation, of blood pressure. Rheology of the blood. Microcirculation. Regulation of blood flow. Arterial hypertension.
- Physiology of blood. Blood clotting. Blood types (groups). Plasma proteins. Immune system.
- Respiratory functions. Pulmonary mechanics. Gas transport. Regulation of respiration.
- Functional morphology of the kidney. Clearance. Counter-current system. Regulation of kidney functions.
- GIT - mechanical functions. GIT - secretory functions. Regulation of gastrointestinal functions. Vitamins, minerals, water in nutrition. Metabolism of sacharides and lipids. Metabolism of proteins. Energy metabolism.
- General principles of endocrine functions. Hypophysis. Adenohypophysis. Thyroid gland. Regulation of calcium metabolism. Endocrine pancreas. Stress and adrenal gland. Neuroendocrinology.
- Male reproduction. Female reproduction. Pregnancy and lactation.
- Skin physiology.
- Skeletal muscle system.
- Skeletal system.
- required literature
- ŠMARDA, Jan, R BAHBOUH, M OREL, M SVOBODA and Z ŠMAHEL. Biologie pro psychology a pedagogy. 2. vydání. Portál, Praha, 2007. 420 pp. ISBN 978-80-7367-343-7. info
- recommended literature
- SILBERNAGL, Stefan and Agamemnon DESPOPOULOS. Atlas fyziologie člověka. 6. vyd., zcela přeprac. a r. Praha: Grada, 2004. xiii, 435. ISBN 802470630X. info
- Teaching methods
- Lessons are led in the form of lectures.
- Assessment methods
- The written exam has 2 parts: a test consists of 40 questions evaluated by 40 points, and description of randomly chosen picture of an organ system that is evaluated by 20 points (czech and latin description). Students pass the exam if they reach at least 60% points.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/phil/autumn2021/PSBA001