PřF:Bi7120 Molecular biology of prokaryot - Course Information
Bi7120 Molecular biology of prokaryotesFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Jiří Doškař, CSc. (lecturer)
Mgr. Ivana Mašlaňová, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Jiří Doškař, CSc.
Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: prof. RNDr. Jiří Doškař, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Experimental Biology - Biology Section - Faculty of Science
- ( Bi4010 Essential molecular biology || Bi4020 Molecular biology ) && ( Bi6081 Bachelor state exam of Molecular biology and genetics || Bi6082 Bachelor state exam of Special biology || Bi6087 Bachelor state exam of Cellular and molecular diagnostics || Bi6088 Bc. state exam Klin.Gen.Diagn. || SOUHLAS )
Going through basic lectures from Molecular Biology and/or Cellular and Molecular Biology
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 11 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to provide students with information on the storage of genetic information for prokaryotes, its implementation, changes and vertical and horizontal transmission. Students should understand the basic terminology of bacterial genetics, genome structure, chromosome replication and plasmids, the use of transposons to analyze genomes and create mutations and mechanisms of evolution of bacteria.
- Learning outcomes
- Student will be able explain how the genetic information of prokaryotes is maintained, changed and transferred vertically and horizontally. The students should be able to explain the basic terms of bacterial genetics. structure and reproduction of bacterial chromosome, plasmid-borne functions, regulation of plasmid replication, genetics with transposons, the ways of horizontal gene transfer in bacteria and molecular evolution processes of prokaryotic genomes.
- Terminology of bacterial genetics
- Structure and reproduction of bacterial chromosome
- Plasmids (general characteristic of plasmid, plasmid-borne functions, regulation of plasmid replication, plasmid stability, plasmid incompatibility and recombination)
- F plasmid, R plasmids, Col plasmids, Ti plasmids of Agrobacterium tumefaciens
- Prokaryotic transposons, genetics with transposons. Transposon mutagenesis. Conjugation (interrupted and non interrupted conjugation, properties of different Hfr strains, zygotic induction, F- x Hfr crosses)
- Transduction (general, specific and abortive transduction, crosses based on general transduction, characteristics of transducing phages)
- Mutations of bacteria (auxotrophic mutants, mutants resistant to antibiotics, nuclear segregation, phenotypic delay, fluctuation test, indirect selection of mutants, mutation rate). DNA repair
- Restriction and modification of DNA, RM systems of bacteria
- Molecular evolution of prokaryotic genomes.
- recommended literature
- Microbial evolution : gene establishment, survival, and exchange. Edited by Robert V. Miller - Martin J. Day. Washington, D.C.: ASM Press, 2004. xiv, 374. ISBN 1555812716. info
- not specified
- SNYDER, Larry. Molecular genetics of bacteria. 4th ed. Washington, DC: ASM Press, 2013. xx, 707. ISBN 9781555816278. info
- SNUSTAD, D. Peter and Michael J. SIMMONS. Genetika. Edited by Jiřina Relichová. Druhé, aktualizované vydá. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2017. xix, 844. ISBN 9788021086135. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures are based on power-point pictures, tables and texts elaborated according to textbooks, monographs and scientific papers which are explained and complemented with teacher comments. All the presentations are available on IS.
- Assessment methods
- Visiting of lectures is not obligatory. Oral examination follows the written test in which students should answer 8-10 questions covering main topics of the lecture. During the oral examinations the students have to prove their knowledge on particular examples. To pass the exam they should answer 70% of the questions.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
The course is taught: every week.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2020/Bi7120