PřF:C5855 Biophysical Chemistry Methods - Course Information
C5855 Methods in Biophysical ChemistryFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- prof. RNDr. Libuše Trnková, CSc. (lecturer)
RNDr. Mgr. Jozef Hritz, Ph.D. (lecturer)
RNDr. Mgr. Iveta Třísková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Zdeněk Farka, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Libuše Trnková, CSc.
- Wed 8:00–9:50 Kontaktujte učitele
- exam of C5850 Introduction to Biophysical Chemistry
simultaneous attendance of C5855 Methods in Biophysical Chemistry is recommended
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Students of this course will gain physicochemical foundations of biophysical methods used in genomics, proteomics, biotechnology and bionanotechnology.
- Learning outcomes
- Students will learn in detail with modern approaches in biophysically-chemical research, very useful in biophysics, biochemistry, medicine, pharmacy and food industry. At the end of this course the student will be able:
a) to explain the principles of biophysical methods,
b) to use the fundamentals of physical chemistry in biological practice,
c) to use the knowledge gained for the preparation of the bachelor thesis,
d) to use the knowledge gained in theory (structure calculation) and experience (experiment to verify the theoretical calculations),
e) to interpret new trends, tactics and strategies of biophysical chemistry.
- 1. Experiment of biophysical chemistry (tactics and strategy of choice, general procedure for solving structures and interactions of biomolecules)
- 2. Transport in biological system (diffusion, osmosis, viscosity)
- 3. Techniques of study of biomolecular transport (centrifugation, chromatography, electrophoresis)
- 4. Electrical potential, energy, heat (electrophysiology, mass spectrometry, calorimetry)
- 5. Scattering, refraction and interpretation of their data
- 6. Electron and vibrational spectroscopy I (energy states, UV-Vis, infrared and Raman spectroscopy)
- 7. Electron and vibrational spectroscopy II (fluorescence, FRET, phosphorescence, chiroptic spectra, X-ray spectroscopy)
- 8. Magnetic resonance (nuclear magnetic resonance - NMR and electron paramagnetic resonance - EPR)
- 9. Microscopy (electron microscopy - SEM and TEM, atomic force microscopy - AFM)
- 10. Methods of study of own possibilities (manipulation, electrical and optical properties of biomolecules)
- 11. Electrochemical methods and their use in biosensors (bioelectrochemistry, nanoelectrochemistry)
- 12. Mathematical and statistical data processing (introduction to Fourier methods, multicomponent analysis, artificial neural networks).
- required literature
- CAMPBELL, Iain D. Biophysical techniques. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2012. ix, 353. ISBN 9780199642144. info
- KODÍČEK, Milan and Vladimír KARPENKO. Biofysikální chemie. Vyd. 3., opr. a rozš. Praha: Academia, 2013. 423 s. ISBN 9788020022417. info
- recommended literature
- ALLEN, James P. Biophysical chemistry. Hoboken, NJ: Wiley-Blackwell Pub., 2008. xvi, 492. ISBN 9781405124362. info
- CANTOR, Charles R. and Paul R. SCHIMMEL. Biophysical chemistry. Part II, Techniques for the study of biological structure and function. 12th print. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company, 2001. xxix, s. 3. ISBN 0-7167-1189-3. info
- CANTOR, Charles R. and Paul R. SCHIMMEL. Biophysical chemistry. Part III, The behavior of biological macromolecules. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company, 1980. xxix, s. 8. ISBN 0-7167-1191-5. info
- CANTOR, Charles R. and Paul R. SCHIMMEL. Biophysical chemistry. Part I, The conformation of biological macromolecules. 11th print. New York: W.H. Freeman and Company, 1999. xxii, 341. ISBN 0-7167-1042-0. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures, ppt presentations, discussions
- Assessment methods
- written test and oral exam
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2020/C5855