PřF:JAM03 English for Mathematicians III - Course Information
JAM03 English for Mathematicians IIIFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/2. 2 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Mgr. Eva Čoupková, Ph.D. (lecturer)
Mgr. Věra Hranáčová (assistant)
Mgr. Jana Kubrická, Ph.D. (assistant)
PhDr. Hana Němcová (assistant)
PhDr. Eva Složilová, M.A., PhD. (assistant)
Agnieszka Suchomelová-Polomska, M.A. (assistant)
Mgr. Hana Ševečková, M.A. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- Mgr. Hana Ševečková, M.A.
Language Centre, Faculty of Science Division - Language Centre
Contact Person: Lenka Pavlíková
Supplier department: Language Centre, Faculty of Science Division - Language Centre
- Timetable of Seminar Groups
- JAM03/01: Wed 9:00–10:50 J1, E. Čoupková
JAM03/02: Wed 11:00–12:50 J1, E. Čoupková
- The knowledge of English at the B2 level CEFR.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 54 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 0/54, only registered: 0/54
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 34 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- After completing this course the student will be able to:
understand authentic mathematical texts/lectures
identify the main ideas
formulate the main ideas
interpret the information
present mathematical topics using basic presentation techniques
summarize a mathematical text
compare and contrast
use arguments in a discussion on a mathematical topic (defend one´s opinion, opose, support arguments of a colleague)
create a CV, write a letter of application,
present oneself in a mock interview
- Syllabus of the course: Syllabus předmětu: Syllabus and important data for JAM03 Eva Čoupková, email@example.com Course materials and homework: https://is.muni.cz/auth/el/1431/podzim2010/JAM03/index.qwarp Topics ESP: 1) Fields of mathematics, Numbers, Notation and Rigor,Listening:Matrices. 2) Real numbers,Listening: Linear Algebra. 3) Structure, sets, Listening: Differential Equations 4) Space, Four color theorem, Listening: Polynominals 5) Trigonometry Listening: Multivariable Calculus 6) Trigonometric functions, Listening: Green Theorem 7) Topology, Homeomorphism, Listening: Algorithms 8) Differential Equation, Listening: Divide-and-Conquer 9) Abstract Algebra Listening: African fractals 10) Order Theory Listening: Symmetry 11) The Travelling Salesman Problem I. Listening: Shortest paths I. 12) The Travelling Salesman Problem II. Listening: Shortest paths II. 13) Credit test Topics EAP: CV Job Application Job Interview Summary and conclusion Quoting, sources Presentations ???
- Přehled doporučené literatury - viz informace učitele.
- The recommended literature - see the information of the teacher
- Teaching methods
- Listening exercises from audio and video sources with accompanying questions and ensuing discussion, reading comprehension of written texts dealing with popular science themes as well as specific scientific texts, translations into Czech language, development of curricula, formal letter writing, exercises in basic grammar within scientific content and style, analysis of word structure, word derivation, expansion of casual as well as scientific vocabulary, working with dictionaries, casual and scientific conversation.
- Assessment methods
- Each course is concluded with a credit test - 60% of correct answers 80% active attendance in seminars is required.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught annually.