PřF:F8670 Physics of cool stars - Course Information
F8670 Physics of cool starsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0/0. 1 credit(s) (fasci plus compl plus > 4). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. RNDr. Vladimír Štefl, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. RNDr. Vladimír Štefl, CSc.
Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
Contact Person: doc. RNDr. Vladimír Štefl, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
- Thu 8:00–9:50 Fs1,01017
- Knowledges on the level of course of general physics and theoretical physics.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Physics (programme PřF, N-FY)
- Course objectives
- Students will be able to explain the basic contemporary problems stellar structures and atmospheres cold stars: describe and evaluate evolution tracks of stars in right region of H-R diagram, from pre-main sequence stars, T- Tauri stars, red dwarfs, red giants, stars asymptotic giant branch, carbon stars and mira variables.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course students should understand connections of chemical evolution, physical processes and changes of structure stars in general evolution of cool stars. Students should be able to interpret photometric and spectroscopic data and models of stellar structure of different cool stars.
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Pre main sequence evolution
- 3. Red dwarfs
- 4. Brown dwarfs
- 5. Post main sequence evolution
- 6. Red giants
- 7. Carbon stars
- 8. Long period variables
- 9. Stellar wind of cool stars
- Kippenhahn, R., Weigert, A.: Stellar structure and evolution. Springer-Verlag, Berlin 1994.
- Štefl, V.: Fyzika chladných hvězd. Elektronická skripta - http://astro.physics.muni.cz/documents/lecture_notes/+2
- Teaching methods
- lectures, solution of select problems
- Assessment methods
- oral exam
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course can also be completed outside the examination period.
The course is taught once in two years.
General note: L.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/sci/autumn2019/F8670