Student has to send an abstract and extended abstract of the paper written in English in following format:
Length of the abstract: 5 – 10 lines, extended abstract 550 – 750 words.
The abstract should characterize the problem and research question in focus, method, key hypothesis and, if possible the main finding(s).
The structure of the extended abstract: the problem, theoretical background, the research question and its relevance in context, hypotheses, methodology, findings (assumptions about findings), conclusions and discussion in a broader context.
What is expected to be done in the abstract:
1) formulation of the research question in clear terms and in a short sentence;
2) brief introduction of the research guiding/sensitizing concepts of the research;
3) explanation of why you have chosen exactly the cases/have collected exactly the data on which you (want to) work;
4) demonstration that the approach / strategy / technique of data analysis that you (want to) use is exactly the one which (a) squeezes (better than any conceivable alternative) the relevant information out of the data collected and (b) is highly probable to allow a clear answer to the research guiding question.
Omezení zápisu do předmětu
Předmět je nabízen i studentům mimo mateřské obory.
Jiné omezení: students apply for participation at the seminar after the call for papers (they apply by submitting extended abstract); selected students can register
The aim of the school is:
• to equip post-graduate students with excellent theoretical, empiric-analytical and methodological skills in advanced social science research;
• to give post-graduate students of social sciences useful feedback to their thesis from eminent European professors;
• to give post-graduate students an opportunity to compare their work with students from other European universities;
• to establish contact with the best qualified specialists from European Universities;
• to produce highly qualified specialists and analysts;
• to secure the integration of Central and Eastern European Graduate Schools into the wider networks of postgraduate studies.
Výstupy z učení
Post-graduate students participated in these seminars have an opportunity:
- to presents the partial results of their thesis;
- to get feedback from eminent professors and other students;
- to assess the other students presentations and results of their research.
Participation at the EUSOC seminar enables PhD students to improve the quality of their thesis and could be a useful step in their study and research route.
The students have the following obligations:
- to produce extended abstract of the papers along the guidelines given in call for papers
- to produce the academic paper along the guidelines given in call for papers
- to participate at the international workshop where they present their paper
- respond to the assessments of the paper by professors of EUSOC and the other participants
- assess the paper presented by another researcher/PhD student
presentation of PhD thesis, group discussion
Feedback focuses on the methodology and epistemology of student research. Professors provide advice on how to do sound interdisciplinary research. The relevance of the research problem and research question are contextualized within the broader disciplines of contemporary social science.
Poznámka k ukončení předmětu: submitting academic paper, presentation and defending the paper, assessment of the paper presented by the other researcher
Předmět je dovoleno ukončit i mimo zkouškové období.
Předmět je vyučován každoročně.
Výuka probíhá blokově.