PřF:F8582 Practical astrophysics adv. - Course Information
F8582 Practical astrophysics advanced methodsFaculty of Science
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1. 1 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: graded credit.
- RNDr. Petr Škoda, CSc. (lecturer)
RNDr. Jan Janík, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. Mgr. Jiří Krtička, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. RNDr. Jana Musilová, CSc.
Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
Supplier department: Department of Theoretical Physics and Astrophysics - Physics Section - Faculty of Science
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is offered to students of any study field.
- Course objectives
- The aim of the course is to provide students with advanced practical skills which are used in the field of astrophysics. The course is focused mainly on the stellar astrophysics, but the obtained skills are transferable also to other branches of astrophysics. The adopted skill can help to prepare diploma and doctoral thesis more effectively and are crucial for future scientific career.
- • Calculation of model atmospheres using TLUSTY a ATLAS codes. Basic parameters used for the calculation of model atmospheres and their modification. Calculation of LTE and NLTE model atmospheres. Calculation of accretion disks models. Grids of model atmospheres available online.
- • Calculation of synthetic spectra of models atmospheres. Inclusion of rotational broadening. Comparison of theoretical and observed spectra. Determination of stellar parameters from spectroscopy.
- • Modelling of internal stellar structure and stellar evolution.
- recommended literature
- HUBENÝ, Ivan and Dimitri MIHALAS. Theory of stellar atmospheres : an introduction to astrophysical non-equilibrium quantitative spectroscopic analysis. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 2015. xvi, 923. ISBN 9780691163291. info
- GRAY, R. O., C. J. CORBALLY and Adam J. BURGASSER. Stellar spectral classification. Princeton, N.J.: Princeton University Press, 2009. xvi, 592. ISBN 9780691125114. info
- Teaching methods
- The lectures are based on general lessons, which are accompanied by practical examples. The students can try the examples by themselves out under the supervision of the teachers.
- Assessment methods
- Preparation of tasks assigned by the teachers is the condition for finishing of the course.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- The course is taught once in two years.
The course is taught: every week.
General note: L.