FI:PB154 Database Systems - Course Information
PB154 Database SystemsFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/1/0. 3 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: z (credit).
- prof. Ing. Pavel Zezula, CSc. (lecturer), doc. RNDr. Vlastislav Dohnal, Ph.D. (deputy)
RNDr. Michal Batko, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Petra Budíková, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Petr Eliáš (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Vladimír Míč (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Jakub Peschel (seminar tutor)
RNDr. Jan Sedmidubský, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Ing. Tomáš Svoboda (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- prof. Ing. Pavel Zezula, CSc.
Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: prof. Ing. Pavel Zezula, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
- Mon 12:00–13:50 D3, Mon 12:00–13:50 D2, Mon 12:00–13:50 D1, except Mon 16. 12. ; and Mon 16. 12. 12:00–13:50 D2, 12:00–13:50 D1
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
PB154/02: each odd Thursday 8:00–9:50 B204, M. Batko
PB154/03: each even Thursday 10:00–11:50 B204, M. Batko
PB154/04: each odd Thursday 10:00–11:50 B204, M. Batko
PB154/05: each even Friday 10:00–11:50 A218, M. Batko
PB154/06: each odd Friday 10:00–11:50 A218, M. Batko
PB154/07: each even Friday 12:00–13:50 A218, M. Batko
PB154/08: each odd Friday 12:00–13:50 A218, M. Batko
PB154/09: each even Wednesday 8:00–9:50 A318, J. Sedmidubský
PB154/10: each odd Wednesday 8:00–9:50 A318, except Wed 6. 11. ; and Wed 6. 11. 8:00–9:50 B517, J. Sedmidubský
PB154/11: each even Wednesday 12:00–13:50 A218, J. Sedmidubský
PB154/12: each odd Wednesday 14:00–15:50 A320, V. Míč
PB154/13: each even Monday 14:00–15:50 A218, V. Míč
PB154/14: each odd Monday 14:00–15:50 A218, V. Míč
PB154/15: each even Wednesday 14:00–15:50 A320, V. Míč
PB154/16: each odd Wednesday 12:00–13:50 A218, P. Budíková
PB154/17: each even Friday 8:00–9:50 B204, P. Budíková
PB154/18: each odd Friday 8:00–9:50 B204, P. Budíková
- Ability to understend a computer-specialized English text.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- Fields of study the course is directly associated with
- there are 61 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The goal of the course is to teach students principles of database systems.
- Learning outcomes
- On successful completion of the course the student will be able:
to formulate reasons for using database systems;
to understand basic principles of database systems;
to describe ways of indexing data;
to design a database schema;
to create queries for retrieving data.
- Introduction, terminology
- Entity-relationship model
- Relational model
- Query language SQL
- Integrity constraints
- Relational database design
- Storage and file structures
- Indexing and hashing
- Query processing
- Transaction management
- New trends in database systems
- recommended literature
- SILBERSCHATZ, Abraham, Henry F. KORTH and S. SUDARSHAN. Database system concepts. 5th ed. Boston: McGraw-Hill, 2006. xxvi, 1142. ISBN 0072958863. info
- Teaching methods
- Lectures and seminars. Lectures are given in Czech, but teaching materials are in English. In seminars, materials in Czech are used exclusively. Selected parts of the lecture are exercised in seminars.
- Assessment methods
- Lectures are given weekly. Seminars are given in a fortnight cycle. There are usually five seminars plus consultation. Presence at seminars is not mandatory. The course is completed with a written exam consisting of ten tasks. Each task is graded with 6 points at maximum. The minimum of 30 points is required to pass the exam. Before sitting for the exam, the student must pass a credit test. It contains eight tasks in each a correct answer out of four options must be selected. A correct answer is graded with +3 points and an incorrect answer is graded with -1 point. The minimum to pass the test is 10 points.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Listed among pre-requisites of other courses
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fi/autumn2019/PB154