ESF:MKF_SPSB Special Seminar B - Course Information
MKF_SPSB Special Seminar BFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 0/0/0. 3 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- Oleg Deev, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Svatopluk Nečas, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Dalibor Pánek, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Ing. Martina Sponerová (seminar tutor)
doc. Ing. Eva Vávrová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
Mgr. Silvie Zlatošová, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- Ing. Svatopluk Nečas, Ph.D.
Department of Finance - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: Iva Havlíčková
Supplier department: Department of Finance - Faculty of Economics and Administration
- Sat 22. 2. 8:00–11:50 S310, Sat 7. 3. 8:00–11:50 S310, Sat 4. 4. 8:00–11:50 S310
- Prerequisites (in Czech)
- Předpokladem pro zápis tohoto předmětu je absolvování všech předmětů předepsaných pro specializaci Bankovnictví a pojišťovnictví.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Main objectives can be summarized as follows:
- to extend knowledge of banking and insurance industry;
- to teach how to use this knowledge in business environment more globally (special emphasis put on combining theory and practice);
- to analyze particular problems of banking and insurance industry;
- to develop creative approach to solution proposal;
- to evaluate feedback logically.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of this course students will be able to:
- explain the functioning principles of banking system and insurance sector;
- identify and sumarize the specifics of accounting of financial institutions;
- describe principles of management of banks and insurance companies and define the structure of their revenues and costs;
- assess international aspects of banking and insurance industry;
- define the current trends in banking and insurance industry.
- Content plan and thematic focus of seminars (according to weeks of instruction):
- 1. Introductory seminar, organization of seminars, terms of assessment and completion of the subject, seminar works submission.
- 2. Risk typology and risk management methodology of a banking entrepreneurship; analysis of credit risks of a banking entrepreneurship; current product and systemic trends in banking and insurance industry.
- 3. Management of a commercial bank, revenues and costs structure, financial analysis of a bank; commercial bank liquidity management; investment activities of banks, investment banking services; sources of financing of a commercial bank, regulatory capital and capital adequacy.
- 4. Corporate banking products (operational and investment financing, project financing, business financing); off-balance sheet operations (products) of commercial banks; specifics of accounting of financial institutions, regulation, financial statement of financial institutions and its usage in their management.
- 5. Regulation and supervision of banks and insurance companies, rules of prudent entrepreneurship activities of banks and insurance companies in the Czech Republic; integration and harmonisation processes of regulation and supervision of financial institutions in the European Union; legal protection of consumers of financial services (private legal and public legal protection of consumers).
- 6. Reinsurance definition, principles, functions, classification, legal nature of the reinsurance, reinsurance treaty and its clauses; traditional methods of reinsurance (proportional and non-proportional reinsurance), alternative risk transfer (ART); pension systems in the Czech Republic and in other countries, current state, development.
- 7. Risk typology and risk management methodology in a commercial insurance company, means of financial risk coverage; corporate insurance products (engineering insurance, liability insurance); valuation of insured property, reasons and types of valuation.
- 8. Technical provisions in life and non-life insurance, creation and use, investing, portfolio creation principles; management of a commercial insurance company, revenues and costs structure, financial analysis of an insurance company.
- 9. Financial management of a commercial insurance company, solvency capital, management of assets and liabilities in a commercial insurance company; management marketing of banks and insurance companies, marketing mix tools, marketing strategy.
- 10. Periodical payments to/from a bank account, annuity calculation (primary, deferred, perpetual), debts amortisation (constant instalments, non-constant instalments).
- 11. Calculation of premiums for life insurance, principles, procedures, netto premium, gross premium, single premium, current premium, fractional premium, general equation of equivalence, risk and saving part of premium; calculation of technical provisions in life insurance, procedures, zillmerisation, use for other calculations (changes of a contract, redemption, dynamisation).
- 12. Portfolio theory according to Markowitz, estimated profitability, risk of estimated profitability, efficient margin, determination of optimal portfolio (optimised function, optimisation procedure); equilibrium models on capital markets (reason for existence, CAPM, APT).
- 13. Summary of topics and discussion of new trends in banking and insurance industry.¨
- Tutorials are organised in three four-hour blocs, according to topics in this way:
- 1. Topics No. 2, 3 and 5
- 2. Topics No. 6 - 9
- 3. Topics No. 4, 10 – 13
- required literature
- Literatura je dána povinnou a doporučenou literaturou předmětů bloku B, tedy specializace Bankovnictví a pojišťovnictví (jejich seznam viz https://www.econ.muni.cz/o-nas/organizacni-struktura/561700-katfinanci/szz-na-kf).
- Teaching methods
- tutorials (discussion to course topics)
- Assessment methods
- The course finishes with a credit.
Students take the credit after the following requierements have been met: processing, submission (in electronic form at latest on Wednesday before presentation) and presentation (without PowerPoint) of a seminar project (POT) of assigned topic will be assessed either passed or failed. Requirements for the credit: - the seminar project (POT) assessed "passed".
Warning: Any copying, recording or leaking tests, use of unauthorized tools, aids and communication devices, or other disruptions of objectivity of colloquium will be considered non-compliance with the conditions for course completion as well as a severe violation of the study rules. Consequently, the teacher will finish the colloquium by awarding grade "N" in the Information System, and the Dean will initiate disciplinary proceedings that may result in study termination.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
Credit evaluation note: k = 1,00.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/econ/spring2020/MKF_SPSB