ESF:MPV_RKIS Management and Control in PA - Course Information
MPV_RKIS Management and Control in PAFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1/0. 5 credit(s). Type of Completion: zk (examination).
- doc. JUDr. Ivan Malý, CSc. (lecturer)
prof. Ing. Juraj Nemec, CSc. (lecturer)
doc. Ing. David Špaček, Ph.D. (lecturer)
doc. JUDr. Ivan Malý, CSc. (seminar tutor)
doc. Ing. David Špaček, Ph.D. (seminar tutor)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Ing. David Špaček, Ph.D.
Department of Public Economics - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: PhDr. Ing. Pavla Hradecká
Supplier department: Department of Public Economics - Faculty of Economics and Administration
- Thu 10:00–10:50 MT205
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- The role of public sector manager in connection with the new conditions, transformation of public sector and the increasing demands and expectations from citizens, is changing. Management of organizations in public administration not means only a policy defined by the central levels of public administration. Means to achieve mission objectives filled the public sector organizations and the interests of stakeholders, and it efficiently, effectively and economically, to focus on achieving results and take responsibility for them. Achieving that places significant demands on the competence of managers of public sector - requires skill in using these modern tools of management and apply them in specific terms the public sector.
The aim of the course is to provide basic information about the specifics of public management, first, in general, and second, with focus on strategic management, quality management, change management and human resources management in public administration. The course combines lectures which deal with current knowledge in international literature as well as lectures of practitioners from the Czech public administration and the public sector.
- Learning outcomes
- By passing the course students will be able to
• interpret significant, specifics and modern trends of reforms and modernizations in public administration and public sector,
• discuss specific abilities which are necessary for successful managerial positions in public administration,
• clarify and apply basic principles of strategic management and quality management and improve their knowledge on aims and methods of their instruments,
• understand specifics of human resources management (HRM) in public administration and specify and discuss individual HRM activities,
• evaluate possibilities and limits of implementation of modern managerial instruments in the context of public administration.
- Content of the course is as follows:
- 1. Public management - approaches, role of public managers
- 2. Strategic management in public administration - potential and limits
- 3. Quality management of public services
- 4. HRM in public administration - civil service of self-government
- 5. HRM in public administration - central authorities subjected to the State service act
- 6. Control system of public authorities
- 7. Independent control of public administration
- 8. Coordination in public administration and its tools and practices
- required literature
- Malý, I. a kol. Řízení ve VS, studijní texty 2010
- ŠPAČEK, David. Public management v teorii a praxi (Public management in theory and practice). Praha: C. H. Beck, 2016. 376 pp. Beckova edice ekonomie. ISBN 978-80-7400-621-0. info
- POLLITT, Christopher and Geert BOUCKAERT. Public management reform : a comparative analysis - new public management, governance, and the neo-weberian state. 3rd ed. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2011. xvii, 367. ISBN 9780199595082. info
- BRYSON, John M. Strategic planning for public and nonprofit organizations : a guide to strengthening and sustaining organizational achievement. 4th ed. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass, 2011. xxviii, 54. ISBN 9780470392515. info
- recommended literature
- DVOŘÁKOVÁ, Zuzana. Řízení lidských zdrojů. Vyd. 1. V Praze: C.H. Beck, 2012. xxvi, 559. ISBN 9788074003479. info
- KAPLAN, Robert S. and David P. NORTON. Efektivní systém řízení strategie : nový nástroj zvyšování výkonnosti a vytváření konkurenční výhody. Vyd. 1. Praha: Management Press, 2010. 325 s. ISBN 9788072612031. info
- ARMSTRONG, Michael. Armstrong’s handbook of human resource management practice. 11th ed. London: Kogan Page, 2009. xxvi, 1062. ISBN 9780749452421. info
- LUKÁŠOVÁ, Růžena a kol. Měření spokojenosti občanů s veřejnými službami jako součást řízení kvality v organizacích veřejného sektoru (Measurement of citizen satisfaction with public services as integral part of quality management in public sector organizations). 1. vyd. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, Ekonomicko-správní fakulta, 2009. 118 pp. ISBN 978-80-210-5112-6. info
- GASTER, L. and A. SQUIRES. Providing Quality in the Public Sector: A Practical Approach to Improving Public Services. Maidenhead: Open University Press, 2003. 292 pp. ISBN 978-0-335-20955-2. info
- HUGHES, Owen E. Public management and administration : an introduction. 3rd ed. Houndmills: Palgrave, 2003. viii, 303. ISBN 0333961889. info
- Teaching methods
- lectures,presentations by professionals in the sectors, class discussion, group projects, case studies, readings.
- Assessment methods
- The course is concluded with an oral exam and essey on a given topic.
Course organization and requirements are specified in studying plan which is published before the semester starts.
- Language of instruction