ESF:MPV_RKMN Communication and Man. Skills - Course Information
MPV_RKMN Communication and Managerial SkillsFaculty of Economics and Administration
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/2/0. 4 credit(s). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- PhDr. Vladimír Hřebíček (lecturer)
doc. PhDr. Růžena Lukášová, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Růžena Lukášová, CSc.
Department of Public Economics - Faculty of Economics and Administration
Contact Person: PhDr. Ing. Pavla Hradecká
Supplier department: Department of Public Economics - Faculty of Economics and Administration
- Mon 8:00–9:50 P303
- Timetable of Seminar Groups:
MPV_RKMN/03: Wed 12:00–15:50 S313, R. Lukášová
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is only offered to the students of the study fields the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 26 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 4/26, only registered: 0/26
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Course objectives
- Effective communication is considerably important for people working in public administration organizations as it strongly affects the effectiveness of the organization and the quality of the services provided by this organization. Therefore, the development and perfection of communication skills, which is what the course focuses on, is an important part of preparing students for their practical life.
The objective of the course is to provide students with basic knowledge of effective communication for management and, using training methods, to develop students’ communication skills necessary for managing employees and negotiating with partners outside an organization. The introductory blocks concentrate on basic communication skills necessary for efficiency of communication process, the following blocks focus on the development of selected managerial skills.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course students should have knowledge and skills to be able to:
- be effective at conveying information;
- be effective at asking questions, listening, making arguments;
- apply assertive style of communication;
- prepare and make effective oral presentation;
- lead an appraisal interview;
- participate as an effective member of the work team.
- 1. Introduction, requirements for granting a credit. Communication process, verbal and nonverbal communication. Significance of effective communication for management, possibilities and methods for the development of communication skills.
- 2. Basic communication skills. Principles of effective verbal communication. Asking questions - question types, advantages and disadvantages of individual types. Active listening – significance of listening, development of listening skills. Efficient argumentation and persuasion - choice of arguments, formulation of arguments, building arguments. Overcoming objections - objection types, procedure of overcoming objections.
- 3. Assertiveness and its significance. Assertive, passive and aggressive behavior - characteristics, consequences for managerial work. Assertive rights, assertive techniques. Intrapersonal and interpersonal contribution of assertive thinking and behavior.
- 4. Effective presentation. Preparation and structure of presentation, effective verbal and nonverbal communication during presentation. Visual aids and their significance, principles of their effective use.
- 5. Personality communication types, efficient strategies for dealing with particular types.
- 6. Appraisal interview. Preparation for and principles of effective realization.
- 7. Team work. Principles of effective realization.
- required literature
- LUKÁŠOVÁ, Růžena. Komunikace ve správních činnostech ÚSC. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 2006. 48 pp. ISBN 80-210-3948-5. info
- Pozitivní řízení : asertivita pro manažery. Edited by Paddy O'Brien. 3. vyd. Praha: Management Press, 2003. 212 s. ISBN 8072610775. info
- HOSPODÁŘOVÁ, Ivana. Prezentační dovednosti. 2. upr. vyd. Praha: Kernberg Publishing, 2007. 172 s. ISBN 9788090396296. info
- recommended literature
- KŘIVOHLAVÝ, Jaro. Tajemství úspěšného jednání. 1. vyd. Praha: Grada, 1995. 162 s. ISBN 80-85623-84-6. info
- MENTZEL, Wolfgang. Rozhovory se spolupracovníky. Praha: Grada, 2004. 106 s. ISBN 8024704080. info
- KHELEROVÁ, Vladimíra. Komunikační a obchodní dovednosti manažera. 3., dopl. vyd. Praha: Grada, 2010. 144 s. ISBN 9788024735665. info
- Teaching methods
- The purpose of seminars is on the basis of training methods (role playing, model situations, training videofilms) and relevant theory knowledge (based on the lecturers and self-study) to develop communication and managerial skills of students.
- Assessment methods
- Requirements for granting credits: attendance at seminars, successful passing a written test. The purpose of the written test: - examination of theoretical knowledge - examination of the ability to apply the acquired knowledge and skills on practical examples.
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.