FI:PV094 PC Hardware - Course Information
PV094 PC HardwareFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 3/0. 3 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: z (credit).
- RNDr. Jaroslav Pelikán, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Ing. Jan Staudek, CSc.
Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: RNDr. Jaroslav Pelikán, Ph.D.
- Fri 9:00–11:50 D1
- ! P094 PC Hardware
The course PC Hardware requires an extent of knowledge, that is adequate to the course Computer-Systems Architectures or Computer Systems.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- Informatics (programme FI, B-IN)
- Informatics (programme FI, M-IN)
- Upper Secondary School Teacher Training in Informatics (programme FI, M-IN)
- Upper Secondary School Teacher Training in Informatics (programme FI, M-SS)
- Information Technology (programme FI, B-IN)
- Course objectives
- The course PC Hardware gives detailed information on technical realization of modern computer systems. The students get acquainted with particular components of current computers, to their properties, connection, operational principle and to possibilities of their usage. The students, pass this course, should: know concepts dealing with hardware, operational principles of particular components, be able of qualified hardware purchase, be able to identify bugs in a computer, be able to make some repairs in a computer (exchange of a certain module), be able to plug in a new module into the computer (including its correct setting).
- Architecture of PC and its peripheries.
- Microprocessors Intel.
- Internal memories and their technological realization. Cache memories.
- Bus, width, speed, comparison, compatibility.
- Magnetic data recording. Hysteresis of ferro-magnetic materials.
- External memories. Magnetoresistive heads.
- Interfaces between controllers and hard disk units.
- Graphic cards. Port A.G.P.
- Monitors. Principle of a color CRT. LCD displays and their operational principle.
- PCMCIA standards and USB bus.
- Memory media, cassettes, magnetic disks.
- Magneto-optical disks, CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW disks.
- I/O card. Serial and parallel data transfer.
- Soundcards, record and synthesis of a sound. MIDI.
- IRQ, DMA, I/O addresses, ROM addresses and RAM buffers.
- Review of other devices.
- Language of instruction
- Further Comments
- The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information