FI:PA174 Design of Digital Systems II - Course Information
PA174 Design of Digital Systems IIFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium).
Taught in person.
- RNDr. Zdeněk Matěj, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. Ing. Václav Přenosil, CSc. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- RNDr. Zdeněk Matěj, Ph.D.
Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
Supplier department: Department of Computer Systems and Communications - Faculty of Informatics
- Mon 13. 9. to Mon 6. 12. Mon 10:00–11:50 B411
- Course PB170 is recommended.
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 52 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- The main aim of this course is to understand and master fundamental theoretical knowledge and practical virtuosity necessary for description and for design digital systems. The lessons are specialized in particular into the following topics:
- logical algebra and function;
- design of the combination circuits;
- design of the sequential circuits;
- structural components and cores of the digital systems.
- Learning outcomes
- At the end of the course, students will be able to:
- analyze the advanced digital system using logical algebra;
- design kernel for digital systems.
- Encoding and data representation
- Logic algebra and optimization of the logical terms
- Implementation arithmetical and logical operations into computer machines
- Basic structural components of the digital systems
- Theoretical tools for design of the combination circuits
- Design of the combinational circuits
- Theoretical tools for design of the sequential circuits
- Design of the sequential circuits
- Basic operational units of the digital systems
- Operational principle and design of the basic digital systems units
- Hazards of the digital systems
- Digital systems cores
- Design systems and simulation of the digital systems
- recommended literature
- Stephen Brown and Zvonko Radesic: Fundamental of Digital Logic Design. Mc Graw Hill Higher Education, NY 2005.
- John F. Wakerly, Digital Design: Principles and Practices (4th Edition) , Prentice Hall, 2005
- Teaching methods
- Lectures that correspond to intended aims of tuition.
- Assessment methods
- Final examination consists of 3 parts:
1) defense of the project - implementation of the design from laboratory lessons and discussion about protocol,
2) written test - logical algebra, design of the digital circuits and analysis of the digital circuits,
3) oral exam - theoretical tools for design of the digital circuits.
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information
- Teaching takes place on hardware and software in the Laboratory EmLab - A415. All used documentation and instructions are only available in English.