FI:IB047 Intro to Corpus Linguistics - Course Information
IB047 Introduction to Corpus Linguistics and Computer LexicographyFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 2/0. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Recommended Type of Completion: zk (examination). Other types of completion: k (colloquium), z (credit).
- doc. Mgr. Pavel Rychlý, Ph.D. (lecturer)
prof. PhDr. Karel Pala, CSc. (alternate examiner)
RNDr. Miloš Jakubíček, Ph.D. (assistant)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. Mgr. Pavel Rychlý, Ph.D.
Department of Machine Learning and Data Processing - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: prof. PhDr. Karel Pala, CSc.
Supplier department: Department of Machine Learning and Data Processing - Faculty of Informatics
- Mon 17. 2. to Fri 15. 5. Wed 14:00–15:50 B411
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 68 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- A basic introduction to the field of corpus linguistics and computational lexicography. Students will study types of corpora, corpus building and usage, especially in the sake of dictionaries building.
- Learning outcomes
- Student will be able to: choose the right korpus type for specific purpose; interpret all layers of corpus annotation; use statistical methods on text corpora; design the structure of a dictionary; use free tools for dictionary writing.
- Information technologies and language (text) corpora. Beginning of corpus linguistics, purpose of corpora.
- Corpus data, corpus types and their standardization, SGML, XML, TEI, CES. Annotated corpora, tagging on various levels: structural tagging, grammatical tagging -- POS, lemmata, word forms. Syntactic tagging, treebanks, skeleton analysis. Parallel corpora, alignment. Tools for automatic and semi-automatic annotation, disambiguation.
- Building corpora, maintenance. Corpus tools: corpus manager. Concordance programmes. Queries, regular expressions and their use. Statistical programmes, absolute and relative frequencies, MI and T-score. Work with corpus attributes and tags.
- Working with corpora -- CNC, SUSANNE, Prague Dependency Treebank
- Words, constructions, collocations.
- Computational lexicography, lexicology.
- Descripton of meanings (semantic features).
- Types of computer dictionaries. Lexicography standards.
- Data for dictionary building -- corpora.
- Lexicography Software tools. Lemmatizers.
- SAMPSON, Geoffrey. English for the computer : the SUSANNE corpus and analytic scheme. Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1995. ix, 499. ISBN 0198240236. info
- RYCHLÝ, Pavel. Korpusové manažery a jejich efektivní implementace. Brno, 2000. xiv, 128 s. info
- Computational lexicography for natural language processing. Edited by Ted Briscoe - Bran Boguraev. London: Longman, 1989. xiv, 310 p. ISBN 0-470-21187-3. info
- SAMPSON, Geoffrey. Empirical linguistics. London: Continuum, 2001. viii, 226. ISBN 0-8264-4883-6. info
- Corpus processing for lexical acquisition. Edited by Bran Boguraev - J. (James) Pustejovsky. Cambridge: Bradford Book, 1996. xi, 245 s. ISBN 0-262-02392-X. info
- Teaching methods
- Teaching is performed in the form of oral lectures and seminars, in which the slides and demos of the relevant software tools are combined. Students work out homeworks, prepare presentations based on the literature they had read and develop smaller projects. At the appropriate points of the teaching the open dialog between a teacher and students is used.
- Assessment methods
- written exam
- Language of instruction
- Follow-Up Courses
- Further Comments
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fi/spring2020/IB047