FI:VV027 Postmodern culture - Course Information
VV027 Postmodern cultureFaculty of Informatics
- Extent and Intensity
- 1/1. 2 credit(s) (plus extra credits for completion). Type of Completion: z (credit).
- doc. PhDr. Josef Prokeš, Ph.D. (lecturer)
- Guaranteed by
- doc. PhDr. Josef Prokeš, Ph.D.
Department of Machine Learning and Data Processing - Faculty of Informatics
Contact Person: doc. PhDr. Josef Prokeš, Ph.D.
Supplier department: Department of Machine Learning and Data Processing - Faculty of Informatics
- Mon 17. 2. to Fri 15. 5. Wed 14:00–15:50 C511
- Course Enrolment Limitations
- The course is also offered to the students of the fields other than those the course is directly associated with.
The capacity limit for the course is 30 student(s).
Current registration and enrolment status: enrolled: 46/30, only registered: 0/30, only registered with preference (fields directly associated with the programme): 0/30
- fields of study / plans the course is directly associated with
- there are 76 fields of study the course is directly associated with, display
- Course objectives
- Main objectives can be summarized as follows: orientation in postmodern culture. It is based on not-only-Czech philosophical and culturally historical background. It endeavors after the critique of the consumer conception of life as well as comprehension of racist and xenophobic pathology via new art and multimedia means. A part of the course is the observation of current cultural events. At the end of the course students should be able to understand and explain postmodern culture; interpret actual artistic activity.
- Learning outcomes
- Student will be able to:
to define the philosophical basis of postmodern culture;
to distinguish kitsch and consumer culture;
to evaluate new arts and multimedia means of expression;
clarifying vision as empowering the world - loss of gnoseological concept, interactive understanding of our position in the world, offensive nature of visual perception, character functionality, language functionality, language of media, social value of virtual reality, world of visual characters, new concept of reality.
- Laws of the development of styles in cultural and social epochs
- Modern and modernization
- Cultural outsiders vs. oficial production
- About nature of our culture
- The philosophical bases of postmodern culture
- Postmodern as a self-criticism of modern
- Psychological bases of culture
- Modern vs. postmodern culture
- Postmodern culture in literature, music, fine arts, architecture and popular culture
- Junk art and consumer culture
- Alternative and new culture
- Underground, videos, commercials apparent and hidden, interdomain works, one artistic branch melting into another, the so-called new arts and multimedia modes of expression
- Postmodern culture in a sociological approach
- Human personality in postmodern times
- Feminism and sexual harassment
- The pathology of man's efficiency, racism and xenophobia, the myth of supermen and androgyns
- required literature
- PROKEŠ, Josef and Petr NEDOMA. Pod jednou střechou - fenomén postmoderny v českém výtvarném umění. První. Brno: Masarykova univerzita, 1994. 197 pp. ISBN 80-210-0872-5. info
- not specified
- LYOTARD, Jean François. O postmodernismu :postmoderno vysvětlované dětem : postmoderní situace. Translated by Jiří Pechar. Vyd. 1. Praha: Filosofia, 1993. 206 s. ISBN 80-7007-047-1. info
- ECO, Umberto. Skeptikové a těšitelé. Translated by Zdeněk Frýbort. Vyd. 1. Praha: Svoboda, 1995. 417 s. ISBN 8020504729. info
- ČERNÝ, Václav. O povaze naší kultury. 1. vyd. Brno: Atlantis, 1991. 71 s. ISBN 8071080144. info
- Teaching methods
- lecture, explanation and demonstration, class discussion, essay, presentation, project and its defence, dialogue method, guided exploration, excursion, brainstorming, critical thinking
- Assessment methods
- written test, group project, final essay on examined issues, recension on student theater performance which takes place on FI as a part of Dies Academicus Brunensis - stress of the article put on postmodern aspects of the inscenation
- Language of instruction
- Further comments (probably available only in Czech)
- Study Materials
The course is taught annually.
- Teacher's information
- Enrolment Statistics (recent)
- Permalink: https://is.muni.cz/course/fi/spring2020/VV027